AFCA Forums Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
AFCA Forums > Antique Fan Collectors Association > Pre-1950 (Antique) > How to remove blade from 1930's 10" GE 55x164

 Moderated by: Steve Cunningham, Rod Rogers, Larry Hancock
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
How to remove blade from 1930's 10" GE 55x164  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri Feb 8th, 2019 05:49 pm
  PMQuoteReply
1st Post
John McComas
AFCA Member


Joined: Mon Dec 4th, 2006
Location: Branson West, Missouri USA
Status: 
Offline
Please tell me how to remove the blade from this fan, without messing something up!
Thank You!!!

Attached Image (viewed 187 times):

GE55x164gs.jpg

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Fri Feb 8th, 2019 06:00 pm
  PMQuoteReply
2nd Post
Michael Rathberger
AFCA Member


Joined: Tue Nov 15th, 2005
Location:  
Status: 
Offline
It unscrews...

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Fri Feb 8th, 2019 09:16 pm
  PMQuoteReply
3rd Post
Russ Huber
AFCA Member


Joined: Mon Nov 14th, 2005
Location: Southwest, Wisconsin USA
Status: 
Offline








Psssssssst….FWIW.....mighty mouse has an oil cup to be removed inside the blade cone. If you have not been there done that you will find and Oilite bearing front and back. The oil cup wick on the front bearing is pressing against the bearing wall INTENDED to keep the porous Oilite bearing lubed. 


Possession is 9/10ths of the law, but on mine of past the rotor shaft was seized from lack of oil. I drilled holes into my bearings front and back where the oil ports are after I had removed the rotor so the oil has a Johnny on the spot ability to lubricate the shaft. The only no no with Oilite bearings is to not maar the bearing/rotor shaft contact area as to plug the bearing pores. Oilite bearings should be machined with sharp tooling.


Chrysler just came out with the Oilite bearing shortly before this GE Gosling design fan hit the market if memory serves me right.

Attached Image (viewed 163 times):

untitled.png

Last edited on Fri Feb 8th, 2019 09:16 pm by Russ Huber

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Sat Feb 9th, 2019 05:18 pm
  PMQuoteReply
4th Post
John McComas
AFCA Member


Joined: Mon Dec 4th, 2006
Location: Branson West, Missouri USA
Status: 
Offline
Thanks for all the info gentlemen  .... 
The screw on blade is same as Emerson Swan and unscrews in same direction that blade turns. 

Yeah, that little screw on oilier at the bottom of the front bushing is kind of a joke...   The top oil tube with felt wick
seemed to due the trick.  I got a syringe that I've ground off the sharp end of the needle, and punch it through
the wick and oil from the shaft upwards when withdrawing the syringe.  Works out well.

I needed to add a fiber washer and noticed the original fiber washers had notches in them to lock to the
brass spring washers that had the tabs that fit into the fiber washer notches...  Was that a thing with GE then?

Fan drew 49 watts before cleaning and lubing with synthetic oil, it now draws 43 watts @ 122 volts, 1500 RPM. 
I must have done something right! 
Thanks!!
Happy Fanning!

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Sat Feb 9th, 2019 06:14 pm
  PMQuoteReply
5th Post
Russ Huber
AFCA Member


Joined: Mon Nov 14th, 2005
Location: Southwest, Wisconsin USA
Status: 
Offline








John McComas wrote:
I needed to add a fiber washer and noticed the original fiber washers had notches in them to lock to the
brass spring washers that had the tabs that fit into the fiber washer notches...  Was that a thing with GE then?

Blame it on the GE ultimate brown noser, Mr. Billy Skolfield.  Billy wanted the rotor to "bounce" back and forth in the field. Fact Jack. :tumbs

Attached Image (viewed 118 times):

Billy.v2.png

Last edited on Sat Feb 9th, 2019 06:14 pm by Russ Huber

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Sun Feb 10th, 2019 08:48 pm
  PMQuoteReply
6th Post
John McComas
AFCA Member


Joined: Mon Dec 4th, 2006
Location: Branson West, Missouri USA
Status: 
Offline
I guess Billy bounced too much on my two fans, because I needed to replace the outboard fiber washers!

One thing I noticed that I thought was cool was that the cone hub has several slots that were either cast
or milled into the cone around the inner edge and and they had several pieces of lead wedged into those slots
for static balancing.  I ended up after aligning the wings for symmetry with the stroboscope that I still had some
balance issues, so I broke out the Dubro 499 prop balancer, and shifted some of those lead pieces around for
static balance.  I needed another lead weight or two and took some of the large diameter solder (0.125") and
peened me some more weights. 
They worked great, I just tapped them into the slots with a plastic head hammer!

They now purr perfectly!

Thanks for all the info Russ! 

You're the best!  :-)
Happy Fanning!


Last edited on Sun Feb 10th, 2019 08:53 pm by John McComas

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Sun Feb 10th, 2019 09:33 pm
  PMQuoteReply
7th Post
Russ Huber
AFCA Member


Joined: Mon Nov 14th, 2005
Location: Southwest, Wisconsin USA
Status: 
Offline
John McComas wrote: I ended up after aligning the wings for symmetry with the stroboscope that I still had some
balance issues, so I broke out the Dubro 499 prop balancer, and shifted some of those lead pieces around for
static balance.  I needed another lead weight or two and took some of the large diameter solder (0.125") and
peened me some more weights. 




Good idea using the Dubro for those turbine blades.  I liked Bill better with the round spectacles. 

Attached Image (viewed 71 times):

Bill.jpg

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

Current time is 10:19 pm  
AFCA Forums > Antique Fan Collectors Association > Pre-1950 (Antique) > How to remove blade from 1930's 10" GE 55x164 Top



Beige Theme By: Di @ UltraBB
UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.2004 seconds (33% database + 67% PHP). 29 queries executed.