AFCA Forums Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
AFCA Forums > Antique Fan Collectors Association > Post-1950 (Vintage) > Box Fan Gallery *It's a good one, keep it going*

 Moderated by: Steve Cunningham, Stan Adams, Rod Rogers Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Box Fan Gallery *It's a good one, keep it going*  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sun Sep 13th, 2009 10:29 pm
  PMQuoteReply
41st Post
Tim Tomerlin
Guest
 

Joined: Tue Apr 28th, 2009
Location: Lake Mary, Florida USA
Status: 
Offline
Ok, here are mine.

1. NIB eskimo

Attached Image (viewed 3451 times):

fans 11 001.jpg

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Sun Sep 13th, 2009 10:31 pm
  PMQuoteReply
42nd Post
Tim Tomerlin
Guest
 

Joined: Tue Apr 28th, 2009
Location: Lake Mary, Florida USA
Status: 
Offline
2. Toastmaster

Attached Image (viewed 3245 times):

fans 11 002.jpg

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Sun Sep 13th, 2009 10:31 pm
  PMQuoteReply
43rd Post
Tim Tomerlin
Guest
 

Joined: Tue Apr 28th, 2009
Location: Lake Mary, Florida USA
Status: 
Offline
3. Zero

Attached Image (viewed 3259 times):

fans 11 003.jpg

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Sun Sep 13th, 2009 10:33 pm
  PMQuoteReply
44th Post
Tim Tomerlin
Guest
 

Joined: Tue Apr 28th, 2009
Location: Lake Mary, Florida USA
Status: 
Offline
4. Mathes cooler

Attached Image (viewed 3214 times):

mathes cooler.jpg

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Sun Sep 13th, 2009 10:33 pm
  PMQuoteReply
45th Post
Tim Tomerlin
Guest
 

Joined: Tue Apr 28th, 2009
Location: Lake Mary, Florida USA
Status: 
Offline
5. Lakewood p-25

Attached Image (viewed 4346 times):

p-25.jpg

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Wed Oct 14th, 2009 12:12 am
  PMQuoteReply
46th Post
Beau Mitchell
Guest
 

Joined: 
Location:  
Status: 
Offline
NEWS FLASH!!!

I just recently recieved two more Lakewood/Kmart K-223 box fans from a fellow DT member that's not on this forum. I got these fans 2 for the price of 1. Here they are.

The one on the left is from 1980. That is the one I paid for. The one on the right I got as a free bonus. It's from 1982. The one on the right is pretty beat up, especially the front grill. I may basically use it for parts or something. Both are very dirty and will need a good cleaning. I'll show another picture after I get them cleaned up.

Attached Image (viewed 3638 times):

001.JPG

Last edited on Wed Oct 14th, 2009 12:13 am by

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Wed Oct 14th, 2009 01:07 am
  PMQuoteReply
47th Post
Brandon Tuomikoski
Guest
 

Joined: 
Location:  
Status: 
Offline
Tim Tomerlin wrote:
4. Mathes cooler



That is a really neat looking Fan! With the wood it really looks fit in a wood decorated room.

Btw all, Im a brand new member here! No fans yet, plan to collect up a few of my grandpas antique vacuums and fans that were from his house originally (built in 1915 so hes got some old appliances!)

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Fri Oct 16th, 2009 07:18 pm
  PMQuoteReply
48th Post
Beau Mitchell
Guest
 

Joined: 
Location:  
Status: 
Offline
Pics of my newly acquired K-223's again, this time after cleanup. The 1980 K-223 came out beautifully. The one from 1982 I cleaned up as best I could but the cabinet's kind of beat up and the grills are pretty broken and yellowed. Yet both of them run rather nicely.

Update: The one on the right from 1982 is now with Carey Snellings.

Attached Image (viewed 2978 times):

001.JPG

Last edited on Wed Apr 7th, 2010 06:03 am by

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Fri Oct 16th, 2009 08:35 pm
  PMQuoteReply
49th Post
Tim Tomerlin
Guest
 

Joined: Tue Apr 28th, 2009
Location: Lake Mary, Florida USA
Status: 
Offline
Brandon Tuomikoski wrote: Tim Tomerlin wrote:
4. Mathes cooler



That is a really neat looking Fan! With the wood it really looks fit in a wood decorated room.

Btw all, Im a brand new member here! No fans yet, plan to collect up a few of my grandpas antique vacuums and fans that were from his house originally (built in 1915 so hes got some old appliances!)

Awesome, if you're looking for a good place to discuss vacuums, try Vintagelectrics. I've got a collection of vacuums as well as fans although I don't post over here as much as I do over at Dangreous Tacos/ Vintageelectrics. Anyway, heres a link to the site. http://www.vintageelectrics.org/forum/index.php

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Fri Oct 16th, 2009 10:45 pm
  PMQuoteReply
50th Post
Brandon Tuomikoski
Guest
 

Joined: 
Location:  
Status: 
Offline
Tim Tomerlin wrote:
Brandon Tuomikoski wrote: Tim Tomerlin wrote:
4. Mathes cooler



That is a really neat looking Fan! With the wood it really looks fit in a wood decorated room.

Btw all, Im a brand new member here! No fans yet, plan to collect up a few of my grandpas antique vacuums and fans that were from his house originally (built in 1915 so hes got some old appliances!)

Awesome, if you're looking for a good place to discuss vacuums, try Vintagelectrics. I've got a collection of vacuums as well as fans although I don't post over here as much as I do over at Dangreous Tacos/ Vintageelectrics. Anyway, heres a link to the site. http://www.vintageelectrics.org/forum/index.php


Thanks! I joined. I belong to a few other vacuum forums as well. Right now I have 5 vacuums.

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Mon Oct 19th, 2009 12:18 pm
  PMQuoteReply
51st Post
Nathaniel Lind
Guest
 

Joined: 
Location:  
Status: 
Offline
                                                                       Haven't been on here for a while, but here's my family.



Top Row, L-R: Toastmaster, G.E. late '60s, K-mart K223, Lakewood S23
Bottom Row: Superelectric 1475, G.E. 14"

Also you can see my Holmes 2cool and battery-powered misting fan in the BG.

Last edited on Mon Oct 19th, 2009 12:19 pm by

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Wed Oct 21st, 2009 01:56 am
  PMQuoteReply
52nd Post
Drew Grogan
Guest
 

Joined: 
Location:  
Status: 
Offline
Nathaniel Lind wrote:                                                                        Haven't been on here for a while, but here's my family.



Top Row, L-R: Toastmaster, G.E. late '60s, K-mart K223, Lakewood S23
Bottom Row: Superelectric 1475, G.E. 14"

Also you can see my Holmes 2cool and battery-powered misting fan in the BG.

nice collection, i lvoe the S23 lakewood

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Wed Apr 7th, 2010 05:52 am
  PMQuoteReply
53rd Post
Beau Mitchell
Guest
 

Joined: 
Location:  
Status: 
Offline
Nice fans there Nathaniel!:cool:

Last edited on Wed Apr 7th, 2010 06:21 am by

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Wed Apr 7th, 2010 05:55 am
  PMQuoteReply
54th Post
Beau Mitchell
Guest
 

Joined: 
Location:  
Status: 
Offline
I now have another new fan to my collection. This is the one I've always wanted, a 1976 1st gen Lakewood S-223 from Cameron Schrupp.

Attached Image (viewed 3864 times):

Lakewood S-223 001.JPG

Last edited on Wed Apr 7th, 2010 06:01 am by

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Wed Apr 7th, 2010 11:32 am
  PMQuoteReply
55th Post
Greg Miller
AFCA Member


Joined: Tue Feb 2nd, 2010
Location: Tarrytown, New York USA
Status: 
Offline
Alright... I already have this posted in another thread, but I see no reason it shouldn't be here too. This is currently my only box fan, but my stuff ranges from all over the place, so there will be more eventually. I'm told that this is a good start, however. Westinghouse, c. 1958-59. It will be restored, but it works perfect as it sits. It's just ugly right now, but that'll change soon enough.

Attached Image (viewed 3021 times):

DSCN0696.JPG

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Wed Apr 7th, 2010 04:10 pm
  PMQuoteReply
56th Post
Tom Zapf
AFCA Member
 

Joined: Tue Feb 24th, 2009
Location:  
Status: 
Offline
Very interesting collection. the Kel Aire is like one I restored for jeff Rusnak. Made by Keller Electric in CT, in which CT was also home of GE Automatic Blanket and Small Appliance Division, And I believe a Mr Keller was chair of GE at the time. If you ever take it apart, the Green blade is actually the same as the white GE 5 wing blade. Instead of mounting it on rubber on a 3/8" shaft, they mounted it on a 1/2" shaft standard motor with a spring clamp. The backside of the green blades also has the indentations for the rubber shaft mount you find on the GE fans. if anyone is having a time restoring an avocado fan, you can go to sherwin williams and stick a good portion of the paint up to the computer and you can have a quart mixed (a LOT of paint) and use a small pressurized spray bottle, but it is messy. I did this on a 58 westingouse window fan and the color was perfect. I found at Home Depot a spay can with a color called "Sage" and i think it was either rustoelum or krylon and it was great. the closest match i have have found for "avocado". a littl darker but sure beats mint green!

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Sat Apr 24th, 2010 05:06 am
  PMQuoteReply
57th Post
Derek Anthony
AFCA Member


Joined: Tue Feb 24th, 2009
Location: Portland, Oregon USA
Status: 
Offline
Carey Snellings wrote: Galaxy (Blue)
i just picked up a grey one the other day

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Sun Apr 25th, 2010 01:48 am
  PMQuoteReply
58th Post
Mitch Jackson
Guest
 

Joined: 
Location:  
Status: 
Offline
Lakewood 20-X from early '60s.


Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Sun Apr 25th, 2010 01:23 pm
  PMQuoteReply
59th Post
William Schaub
Guest
 

Joined: 
Location:  
Status: 
Offline
Fasco 16" box fan circa 1953.

Aside from the nice hammered green paint finish I have to say my favorite thing about
this fan is the badge.



Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Tue Apr 27th, 2010 03:08 am
  PMQuoteReply
60th Post
Andrew Heaney
Guest
 

Joined: 
Location:  
Status: 
Offline
 Well, since I haven't posted any pics of my fans, here are a few:

1. Manning Bowman 20 inch box fan, that I got after ending up in a huge bidding war on Ebay last year, and paid way too much for, but it's still a great fan anyway.

It moves a lot of air, and compared to some of the other box fans that are around the house, seems to be relatively quiet as well.

I use it in my bedroom, and the pilot light does make a great nightlight at night. The built in thermostat is a bit "fiddly" though, so I ended up buying a Lux WINN 100 digital programmable outlet thermostat from Amazon.com, that works well with it.

I also make sure to oil it each season, to keep it in top running order.

Keep in mind the pictures I posted may not be all that great, as I only have a camera phone, and not a dedicated digital camera right now.

Attached Image (viewed 2633 times):

0426002014.JPG

Last edited on Tue Apr 27th, 2010 04:28 am by

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Tue Apr 27th, 2010 03:15 am
  PMQuoteReply
61st Post
Andrew Heaney
Guest
 

Joined: 
Location:  
Status: 
Offline
 Another vintage box fan:

W.T. Grant Bradford box fan I purchased approximately in the summer of 2008, if I recall correctly, also from Ebay, but at a much, MUCH more reasonable price.

It does have some rust on it, and the grilles do rattle on it when it runs, but it does make a great window fan, which I use in the room across the hall from my bedroom.

It seems to be a good deal louder than the Manning Bowman, although there are no abnormal noises of any kind. Only some grille rattling.

The spin down time is great on it, and it had been oiled before I got it. This year is the first time I've oiled it since I got it.

It ventilates our house very well.

Attached Image (viewed 2669 times):

0426002022.JPG

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Tue Apr 27th, 2010 03:27 am
  PMQuoteReply
62nd Post
Andrew Heaney
Guest
 

Joined: 
Location:  
Status: 
Offline
Yet another box fan, which I just received today, also from Ebay, and a great price to boot, in the $40 or so total range, including the $18 for shipping.

It's a Happy Home branded mini box fan, which I'm guessing is around 12 inches or so. It does appear to be a rebranded McGraw-Edison box fan, and cosmetically is in GREAT shape.

However, there appears to be possibly some bearing noise, I'm not sure for certain, though. The fan starts up with loud rattling, which seems to be the worst at the slowest speed, ironically enough, which I can't figure out why.

If it were bearings, I would have thought it would have been even more severe at the highest speed; however, at the highest speed, the rattling is much less severe, generally speaking, but still there nonetheless.:wondering:

I did make sure to give it a good oiling, but the motor may have to be torn down to see what the problem is.  I would have to find someone to repair it, as I have never worked on electric motors, and would probably end up ruining the whole thing if I ever took it apart.

 I also wonder if the blade could be out of balance. If anyone has any ideas, I would welcome their suggestions.

Attached Image (viewed 2631 times):

0426002030.JPG

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Tue Apr 27th, 2010 08:20 pm
  PMQuoteReply
63rd Post
Rob Duffy
AFCA Member


Joined: Fri Jun 27th, 2008
Location: USA
Status: 
Offline
Andrew Heaney wrote: Yet another box fan, which I just received today, also from Ebay, and a great price to boot, in the $40 or so total range, including the $18 for shipping.

It's a Happy Home branded mini box fan, which I'm guessing is around 12 inches or so. It does appear to be a rebranded McGraw-Edison box fan, and cosmetically is in GREAT shape.

However, there appears to be possibly some bearing noise, I'm not sure for certain, though. The fan starts up with loud rattling, which seems to be the worst at the slowest speed, ironically enough, which I can't figure out why.

If it were bearings, I would have thought it would have been even more severe at the highest speed; however, at the highest speed, the rattling is much less severe, generally speaking, but still there nonetheless.:wondering:

I did make sure to give it a good oiling, but the motor may have to be torn down to see what the problem is.  I would have to find someone to repair it, as I have never worked on electric motors, and would probably end up ruining the whole thing if I ever took it apart.

 I also wonder if the blade could be out of balance. If anyone has any ideas, I would welcome their suggestions.

The fan may have a bad bearing and/or shaft. I have a fan with a bad shaft that rattles badly on the lower speeds but high speed it runs fine. See if you can wiggle he shaft side to side and up and down on that fan, that may indicate worn bearings or possibly, also uncommonly, a worn shaft. Something could also be loose on it, the blade, maybe one blade where it is riveted to the hub, make sure everything is a tight fit. Usually it is bearing damage though, lack of oil for a long time can do the damage. These fans should have a few drops of oil added every 3 months but a lot of the fans found haven't had oil in ages.

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Tue Apr 27th, 2010 11:12 pm
  PMQuoteReply
64th Post
Andrew Heaney
Guest
 

Joined: 
Location:  
Status: 
Offline
 Hi,

I found when I had the front grill off, when I fiddled with the shaft, it seemed like the shaft could be moved back and forth a little bit. Also, when I pushed the blade assembly back a little bit, when I rotated it by hand it would stiffen up, and not turn quite as easily.

 Then, when I moved the blade assembly forward a little bit, then it would be much easier to spin, and seemed to rotate more freely, so it would seem like there is some sort of bearing/shaft problem in there somewhere.

 I should have asked about that before I bought it, but it was listed in perfect working order, and seemed like a great price on it, especially in as good cosmetic shape as it was.

 I don't suppose these kind of motors can be rebuilt, though? Or if I could even get new bearings for it?

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Wed Apr 28th, 2010 03:48 am
  PMQuoteReply
65th Post
Rob Duffy
AFCA Member


Joined: Fri Jun 27th, 2008
Location: USA
Status: 
Offline
Andrew Heaney wrote:  Hi,

I found when I had the front grill off, when I fiddled with the shaft, it seemed like the shaft could be moved back and forth a little bit. Also, when I pushed the blade assembly back a little bit, when I rotated it by hand it would stiffen up, and not turn quite as easily.

 Then, when I moved the blade assembly forward a little bit, then it would be much easier to spin, and seemed to rotate more freely, so it would seem like there is some sort of bearing/shaft problem in there somewhere.

 I should have asked about that before I bought it, but it was listed in perfect working order, and seemed like a great price on it, especially in as good cosmetic shape as it was.

 I don't suppose these kind of motors can be rebuilt, though? Or if I could even get new bearings for it?

It would probably be best to find a donor motor for the fan. One of the main reasons I will not spend a lot of money on a fan like this from eBay unless I know I can fix it or have parts. If you can open the motor and see if the bearings and shaft are worn, then maybe you can do something about it. Replacement bearings can be tough on a fan like this, I don't know if the bearings can be removed.

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Wed Apr 28th, 2010 04:47 am
  PMQuoteReply
66th Post
Andrew Heaney
Guest
 

Joined: 
Location:  
Status: 
Offline
 Yeah, I'm kind of figuring that out now. Well, I guess I can use it as- is for awhile, I probably won't be running it that often, as my larger box fans will get most of the use.

 I can also keep an eye out for any other ones, preferably that have been a little better taken care of. At least in this case, I wasn't out a whole lot of money on it.

Thanks again for your advice, Rob. I really appreciated it, and it pretty much confirms what I wanted to know.

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Wed Apr 28th, 2010 04:52 am
  PMQuoteReply
67th Post
Rob Duffy
AFCA Member


Joined: Fri Jun 27th, 2008
Location: USA
Status: 
Offline
Andrew Heaney wrote:  Yeah, I'm kind of figuring that out now. Well, I guess I can use it as- is for awhile, I probably won't be running it that often, as my larger box fans will get most of the use.

 I can also keep an eye out for any other ones, preferably that have been a little better taken care of. At least in this case, I wasn't out a whole lot of money on it.

Thanks again for your advice, Rob. I really appreciated it, and it pretty much confirms what I wanted to know.

No problem. One last thing you might want to check is if the rotor moves front to back, pull the blade in and out, if there is a lot of play, the fan may just need fiber washers to stop the rumbling. :up:

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Wed Apr 28th, 2010 05:12 am
  PMQuoteReply
68th Post
Andrew Heaney
Guest
 

Joined: 
Location:  
Status: 
Offline
Rob Duffy wrote: Andrew Heaney wrote:  Yeah, I'm kind of figuring that out now. Well, I guess I can use it as- is for awhile, I probably won't be running it that often, as my larger box fans will get most of the use.

 I can also keep an eye out for any other ones, preferably that have been a little better taken care of. At least in this case, I wasn't out a whole lot of money on it.

Thanks again for your advice, Rob. I really appreciated it, and it pretty much confirms what I wanted to know.

No problem. One last thing you might want to check is if the rotor moves front to back, pull the blade in and out, if there is a lot of play, the fan may just need fiber washers to stop the rumbling. :up:

 From what I can tell, the blade seems to be pretty tight on the shaft. Also, what would be the best way to remove the blade without damaging it, so I can get better access to the motor?

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Wed Apr 28th, 2010 03:17 pm
  PMQuoteReply
69th Post
Rob Duffy
AFCA Member


Joined: Fri Jun 27th, 2008
Location: USA
Status: 
Offline
Andrew Heaney wrote: Rob Duffy wrote: Andrew Heaney wrote:  Yeah, I'm kind of figuring that out now. Well, I guess I can use it as- is for awhile, I probably won't be running it that often, as my larger box fans will get most of the use.

 I can also keep an eye out for any other ones, preferably that have been a little better taken care of. At least in this case, I wasn't out a whole lot of money on it.

Thanks again for your advice, Rob. I really appreciated it, and it pretty much confirms what I wanted to know.

No problem. One last thing you might want to check is if the rotor moves front to back, pull the blade in and out, if there is a lot of play, the fan may just need fiber washers to stop the rumbling. :up:

 From what I can tell, the blade seems to be pretty tight on the shaft. Also, what would be the best way to remove the blade without damaging it, so I can get better access to the motor?

There should be a set screw that you loosen to pull the blade off.

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Wed Apr 28th, 2010 04:27 pm
  PMQuoteReply
70th Post
Andrew Heaney
Guest
 

Joined: 
Location:  
Status: 
Offline
 Cool, I'll have to check that out. Thanks.:up:

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Wed Apr 28th, 2010 06:52 pm
  PMQuoteReply
71st Post
Andrew Heaney
Guest
 

Joined: 
Location:  
Status: 
Offline
 Just an update:

 If I turn the fan on its sides or upside down, the noise COMPLETELY stops, and stays quiet until I turn the fan back on its normal position again. This now makes me wonder if it's somehow blade related, or still in the shaft somehow.

So as long as I keep the fan tilted on its side with the handle & controls facing sideways, or the fan is tilted upside down with the handle on the bottom, the fan runs with none of the aforementioned noises whatsoever. This is interesting.:wondering:

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Wed Apr 28th, 2010 10:32 pm
  PMQuoteReply
72nd Post
William Schaub
Guest
 

Joined: 
Location:  
Status: 
Offline
Andrew Heaney wrote:  Just an update:

 If I turn the fan on its sides or upside down, the noise COMPLETELY stops, and stays quiet until I turn the fan back on its normal position again. This now makes me wonder if it's somehow blade related, or still in the shaft somehow.

So as long as I keep the fan tilted on its side with the handle & controls facing sideways, or the fan is tilted upside down with the handle on the bottom, the fan runs with none of the aforementioned noises whatsoever. This is interesting.:wondering:

Sounds like the bearing is worn to me. perhaps there is a way to take the motor apart and turn the bearing 90 degrees. that might help, if you can get the motor apart that is.

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Wed Apr 28th, 2010 10:48 pm
  PMQuoteReply
73rd Post
Greg Miller
AFCA Member


Joined: Tue Feb 2nd, 2010
Location: Tarrytown, New York USA
Status: 
Offline
Andrew Heaney wrote:  
 If I turn the fan on its sides or upside down, the noise COMPLETELY stops, and stays quiet until I turn the fan back on its normal position again.
How about the the orientation of the motor... can it be mounted in the fan housing upside-down without an interference issue with the wires? It's almost definately a bearing issue, not a blade issue. If it were a blade problem it would make noise in any position (being that the blade spins and has no correlation to the position of the rest of the fan). The only other possibility is that the motor housing itself may have some wear where the bearing rests in it's upright position, but shifting the weight of the rotor and blade to any other position causes the bearing chatter to stop. If the motor can be flipped upside-down without causing other issues, it may be worth trying as a temporary fix. Otherwise, the only "right" way to fix it is to disassemble the motor and measure the shaft with a caliper and the inside diameter of the bearing for excess clearance or wear. This would tell you if it's a matter of replacing some parts or living with a noisy fan.

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Wed Apr 28th, 2010 11:37 pm
  PMQuoteReply
74th Post
Andrew Heaney
Guest
 

Joined: 
Location:  
Status: 
Offline
 Well, I'm thinking I could maybe at least run the fan on its side at least until it eventually gives out.

 I could look for another one like it, I suppose, to use as a parts donor fan, but since I'm not likely to use it too much, I may just leave it as it is for now. My 20 inch box fans will be getting most of the use anyway, and we also have ceiling fans, so this may likely be used only occasionally.

 It's kind of a shame, though, as the fan looks great cosmetically, but whoever owned it last may not have kept up the maintenance such as oiling and such. I'll never know for sure about that.

 Anyway, thanks for all the responses and help regarding this. It's great to have so many knowledgeable and helpful people on this forum.

Last edited on Wed Apr 28th, 2010 11:38 pm by

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Thu Apr 29th, 2010 03:06 am
  PMQuoteReply
75th Post
Rob Duffy
AFCA Member


Joined: Fri Jun 27th, 2008
Location: USA
Status: 
Offline
Andrew Heaney wrote:  Well, I'm thinking I could maybe at least run the fan on its side at least until it eventually gives out.

 I could look for another one like it, I suppose, to use as a parts donor fan, but since I'm not likely to use it too much, I may just leave it as it is for now. My 20 inch box fans will be getting most of the use anyway, and we also have ceiling fans, so this may likely be used only occasionally.

 It's kind of a shame, though, as the fan looks great cosmetically, but whoever owned it last may not have kept up the maintenance such as oiling and such. I'll never know for sure about that.

 Anyway, thanks for all the responses and help regarding this. It's great to have so many knowledgeable and helpful people on this forum.

You could simply flip the bearing upside down and problem solved for another 30+ years.

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Thu Apr 29th, 2010 03:12 am
  PMQuoteReply
76th Post
Andrew Heaney
Guest
 

Joined: 
Location:  
Status: 
Offline
Rob Duffy wrote: Andrew Heaney wrote:  Well, I'm thinking I could maybe at least run the fan on its side at least until it eventually gives out.

 I could look for another one like it, I suppose, to use as a parts donor fan, but since I'm not likely to use it too much, I may just leave it as it is for now. My 20 inch box fans will be getting most of the use anyway, and we also have ceiling fans, so this may likely be used only occasionally.

 It's kind of a shame, though, as the fan looks great cosmetically, but whoever owned it last may not have kept up the maintenance such as oiling and such. I'll never know for sure about that.

 Anyway, thanks for all the responses and help regarding this. It's great to have so many knowledgeable and helpful people on this forum.

You could simply flip the bearing upside down and problem solved for another 30+ years.


 I could, I'll just have to see what kind of tools I'll need to get into the motor. Since I've never done this before, what type of screwdriver or tool would be the best to get the blade off?

 If I could do that, I believe there are maybe about 4 or so bolts holding the motor to the motor mount. Then I could get in there and really take a look.

Last edited on Thu Apr 29th, 2010 03:13 am by

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Thu Apr 29th, 2010 03:30 am
  PMQuoteReply
77th Post
Rob Duffy
AFCA Member


Joined: Fri Jun 27th, 2008
Location: USA
Status: 
Offline
Andrew Heaney wrote: Rob Duffy wrote: Andrew Heaney wrote:  Well, I'm thinking I could maybe at least run the fan on its side at least until it eventually gives out.

 I could look for another one like it, I suppose, to use as a parts donor fan, but since I'm not likely to use it too much, I may just leave it as it is for now. My 20 inch box fans will be getting most of the use anyway, and we also have ceiling fans, so this may likely be used only occasionally.

 It's kind of a shame, though, as the fan looks great cosmetically, but whoever owned it last may not have kept up the maintenance such as oiling and such. I'll never know for sure about that.

 Anyway, thanks for all the responses and help regarding this. It's great to have so many knowledgeable and helpful people on this forum.

You could simply flip the bearing upside down and problem solved for another 30+ years.


 I could, I'll just have to see what kind of tools I'll need to get into the motor. Since I've never done this before, what type of screwdriver or tool would be the best to get the blade off?

 If I could do that, I believe there are maybe about 4 or so bolts holding the motor to the motor mount. Then I could get in there and really take a look.

It is probably a hex key, not a screwdriver for the blade.

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Thu Apr 29th, 2010 05:31 am
  PMQuoteReply
78th Post
Andrew Heaney
Guest
 

Joined: 
Location:  
Status: 
Offline
Rob Duffy wrote: Andrew Heaney wrote: Rob Duffy wrote: Andrew Heaney wrote:  Well, I'm thinking I could maybe at least run the fan on its side at least until it eventually gives out.

 I could look for another one like it, I suppose, to use as a parts donor fan, but since I'm not likely to use it too much, I may just leave it as it is for now. My 20 inch box fans will be getting most of the use anyway, and we also have ceiling fans, so this may likely be used only occasionally.

 It's kind of a shame, though, as the fan looks great cosmetically, but whoever owned it last may not have kept up the maintenance such as oiling and such. I'll never know for sure about that.

 Anyway, thanks for all the responses and help regarding this. It's great to have so many knowledgeable and helpful people on this forum.

You could simply flip the bearing upside down and problem solved for another 30+ years.


 I could, I'll just have to see what kind of tools I'll need to get into the motor. Since I've never done this before, what type of screwdriver or tool would be the best to get the blade off?

 If I could do that, I believe there are maybe about 4 or so bolts holding the motor to the motor mount. Then I could get in there and really take a look.

It is probably a hex key, not a screwdriver for the blade.


 Well, here's an update:

  What I finally did was grab my socket wrench using a 3/8 inch socket, remove the back grill, unbolt the motor, and holding it after removing the 4 bolts that held it to the motor mount.

  Then I rotated the mounting position of the motor, this time with the oil port facing up. When I got the fan, the oil port was facing the bottom of the fan. The wiring going into the motor had been near the bottom as well, so when I rotated the mounting position, the wires would also be facing up.

  After doing all of this, I held the motor while putting the bolts with washers back in, and then tightened them up with the socket wrench. Afterwards, before I put the grill back on, I tested the fan.

 It now works GREAT, with the rattle pretty much gone, (unless you tilt it very far, of course), and now the fan runs a LOT quieter at all 3 speeds.:clap:

 After testing the fan, just for extra measure, I added a few more drops of Zoom Spout into the oil port, and let it sit for a little bit. Then I put the grill back on, and tested the fan a little more. So far, it works much better than it did before, or at least quieter.

 So hopefully, with proper care and maintenance, I can at least keep her running for awhile.

  Thanks again for all of your help, and assistance. Hopefully, I can squeeze a little bit more life out of this fan, at least for a little while.

 Oh, and I was able to do this without removing the blade, by the way.


Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Thu Apr 29th, 2010 11:56 am
  PMQuoteReply
79th Post
Greg Miller
AFCA Member


Joined: Tue Feb 2nd, 2010
Location: Tarrytown, New York USA
Status: 
Offline
From what you're saying, the motor WAS upside down to begin with. The bearings may have had excessive clearance in the motor housing due to the fact that they were resting on the oil holes. The oil ports are always supposed to face up, unless it has cups (which yours clearly wouldn't). Good find, dude! Nice save! As long as you keep it oiled, you shouldn't have any more problems for quite a while. :thumbup

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Thu Apr 29th, 2010 04:45 pm
  PMQuoteReply
80th Post
Andrew Heaney
Guest
 

Joined: 
Location:  
Status: 
Offline
Greg Miller wrote: From what you're saying, the motor WAS upside down to begin with. The bearings may have had excessive clearance in the motor housing due to the fact that they were resting on the oil holes. The oil ports are always supposed to face up, unless it has cups (which yours clearly wouldn't). Good find, dude! Nice save! As long as you keep it oiled, you shouldn't have any more problems for quite a while. :thumbup
 Yes. As a matter of fact when I checked the pictures of the various versions of this fan on Ebay, and of a Manning Bowman version I had seen on a box fan thread in this forum, I noticed that the way the motor was installed in mine when I got it was not the same, as all of the other fans had theirs mounted correctly, with the oil port facing up.

 So I did the same thing, unbolting the motor and mounting it correctly. It works great now. Obviously whoever had owned the fan previously had not paid attention to the correct mounting position it was supposed to be in.

 I did add some extra oil, and things appear to be working fine now.:cool:

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

Current time is 05:30 am Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  Next Page Last Page    
AFCA Forums > Antique Fan Collectors Association > Post-1950 (Vintage) > Box Fan Gallery *It's a good one, keep it going* Top



Beige Theme By: Di @ UltraBB
UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.2589 seconds (18% database + 82% PHP). 97 queries executed.