AFCA Forums Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
AFCA Forums > Antique Fan Collectors Association > Post-1950 (Vintage) > Knapp-Monarch Motor Troubleshooting

 Moderated by: Steve Cunningham, Rod Rogers, Larry Hancock
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Knapp-Monarch Motor Troubleshooting  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu Oct 17th, 2019 07:33 pm
  PMQuoteReply
1st Post
Mike Strozier
Guest
 

Joined: Mon Sep 9th, 2019
Location:  
Status: 
Offline
Good afternoon all.  Thanks to those that helped me ID this fan :)   Next question is troubleshooting the motor.  I've so far stripped the paint and some brushing so that it's now down to the bare metal ready to paint.  Before doing so I figured I would reassemble the fan to make sure everything mounts up correctly and go ahead and wire it up for a quick test.  Which here lies the problem.
When I wired this one up, it just made a slight pop like it attempted to move the fan blades and then does nothing.  And not hearing any buzzing or humming from the motor either.   I take my meter set it to 200 ohms and when I test the two wires that I'm running a new cord to I get about 60 ohms.   When I check the plug of the wire same readings.   

I'm only a beginner of this so looking for what my next steps should be.    Thanks

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Thu Oct 17th, 2019 08:15 pm
  PMQuoteReply
2nd Post
Mike Strozier
Guest
 

Joined: Mon Sep 9th, 2019
Location:  
Status: 
Offline
Think I found a video on rewiring.  The motor on this fan looks similar to that of a Zero 1250r to some degree.  at 24:02 of this vid Youtube Antique Fan Rewire showed how he rewired it.   I am thinking I may need to go down to that level as there appears to be a lot of 'patch work' before getting to the coils. Areas with black electric tap and bindings.   Going to take those areas apart as there may be something loose

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Fri Oct 18th, 2019 09:09 pm
  PMQuoteReply
3rd Post
Mike Strozier
Guest
 

Joined: Mon Sep 9th, 2019
Location:  
Status: 
Offline
And that was the problem.  It appears someone over time had rewired this.  And where the wire was soldered to the coil wire, almost an inch up into it's sleeve the coil wire itself was broke.  It just fell right out once I removed the black tape they had holding it all together.  So went further up the sleeve and was able to get more wire from the coil, soldered and use heat shrink instead of tape to reattach.  And now the unit fires right up once connected to my test wire.  Pretty happy with it and a neat learning experience along the way.  Now it's ready to be primed, sanded if needed and painted.


Before





After.  Could still use a little more cleaning.  But an improvement.



Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

Current time is 12:35 am  
AFCA Forums > Antique Fan Collectors Association > Post-1950 (Vintage) > Knapp-Monarch Motor Troubleshooting Top



Beige Theme By: Di @ UltraBB
UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.2656 seconds (53% database + 47% PHP). 27 queries executed.