View single post by William Dunlap
 Posted: Wed Sep 16th, 2020 10:15 pm
PMQuoteReplyFull Topic
William Dunlap

Joined: Fri Jan 31st, 2014
Location: Kula, Maui, Hawaii USA
Here's a brief video of the switch I have designed as a replacement switch for GE pancakes. I have only one pancake, a 1902, which is kind of a one-off in that it has five speeds and a pointer, while most of the earlier fans had two speeds and no pointer. In order to use this switch on the earlier fans, I'v e made one without the provision for a pointer, but the rest are for the 1902 versions but can be used for the earlier fans with a little modification. Wiring for the earlier fans requires some jumpers so that you get a off, 1, 2, off 1,2 cycle for every 360 degree turn of the switch. I've made 5, two are spoken for, one is in my fan and I have two extras. This project was initiated by Richard's call for a 50 dollar replacement switch for these fans so that at least people could use their fans while they were on the hunt for an original, or saved up for a reproduction switch. 
Being a bit of a tightwad myself, I see a 175-300$ investment in a proper switch being the same price as a number of fans I'd like to have....well, priorities, you know. So, my fan will live with the switch I made for the time being.

I've got way more time in this than 50$ could possibly justify, so just call it a gift to the community. I make them when I don't have other more profitable or pressing things to do. Takes me about a day to make one from scratch, and I've invested a couple of weeks time in perfecting the design so that I feel comfortable that this switch will do the job that it is intended to do. Each switch has been installed in my fan to insure it fits, and continuity tested to make sure all contacts work. Plus, I've aligned each one with the pointer so that there likely won't be any adjustment necessary for that. Solder on the wires, orient the switch so that the common contact is in the up direction and mount to the back plate. Admittedly, screwing in the studs can be a bit awkward, but most of us can manage that, I think. The wires all exit from behind the switch instead of in front so I think that is a plus. It gets the wires away from the rotor. 

The switches don't come with pointers or knobs. Those are available elsewhere.

With regards to later pancakes, I don't have one here so I can't make an adapter to install these in those fans. I'm sure it's possible, but I won't be able to do that until such a time as I have at least a base in my hands to try it.

I'll do a proper post in the BST for the two remaining switches soon.