AFCA Forums Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

 Moderated by: Steve Cunningham, Rod Rogers, Larry Hancock
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Sturtevant No.5 Monogram Blower  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Wed Feb 14th, 2018 04:20 am
  PMQuoteReply
1st Post
Steve Rockwell
AFCA Member


Joined: Tue Jun 23rd, 2015
Location:  
Status: 
Offline
CE 2-1 1/2 H.P.-915/1220-80 Volt Form A Motor Direct Connected to No. 5 Monogram Blower



Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Wed Feb 14th, 2018 03:24 pm
  PMQuoteReply
2nd Post
Levi Mevis
AFCA Member
 

Joined: Tue Feb 24th, 2015
Location: Elkhart, Indiana USA
Status: 
Offline
Don't let David See that! He'll want to find one just like it to add to his growing collection of big fans!

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Wed Feb 14th, 2018 06:55 pm
  PMQuoteReply
3rd Post
Michael Rathberger
AFCA Member


Joined: Tue Nov 15th, 2005
Location:  
Status: 
Offline

Hard to tell how big that one is, is the motor 1.5HP or .5HP? Number 5 probably indicates it was pretty big. Regardless, a few manufacturers were making these, here's a small Champion I have somewhere (uh oh, that's a bad sign when I don't even know where it is now). It's a number 1 if I remember, probably only 12" fan size. The collector in Wisconsin had a smaller one made in Grand Rapids I think, Tedrick turned one up a bit ago, and I've seen several throughout my travels.


 


http://www.afcaforum.com/view_topic.php?id=20240&forum_id=1&highlight=fidelity+blower

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Wed Feb 14th, 2018 07:22 pm
  PMQuoteReply
4th Post
Richard Daugird
AFCA Member
 

Joined: Tue Sep 12th, 2017
Location: Texas City, Between Hou. & Galveston, Texas USA
Status: 
Offline
Levi, you read my mind!

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Sat Feb 17th, 2018 02:20 pm
  PMQuoteReply
5th Post
David Allen
AFCA Member
 

Joined: Mon Mar 6th, 2017
Location: Northport, Alabama, USA
Status: 
Offline
Steve Rockwell wrote: CE 2-1 1/2 H.P.-915/1220-80 Volt Form A Motor Direct Connected to No. 5 Monogram Blower


Very nice!  Are you planning to get this one or one like it?

Michael Rathberger wrote:

Hard to tell how big that one is, is the motor 1.5HP or .5HP? Number 5 probably indicates it was pretty big. Regardless, a few manufacturers were making these, here's a small Champion I have somewhere (uh oh, that's a bad sign when I don't even know where it is now). It's a number 1 if I remember, probably only 12" fan size. The collector in Wisconsin had a smaller one made in Grand Rapids I think, Tedrick turned one up a bit ago, and I've seen several throughout my travels.

 

http://www.afcaforum.com/view_topic.php?id=20240&forum_id=1&highlight=fidelity+blower


Michael, my #6 Sturtevant is massive. With the blower sitting on the ground, the top of the hosing is chest-high to me.  The #5 would just be one size smaller. According to the catalog, the blower alone weighs 380 pounds not counting the motor. (I have tried to attach the catalog to this post.)

If it's like the Sturtevant propeller fans, they under-rate the motor and it is probably more than a 1.5 HP motor on this unit. The #8 propeller fans show to have a 1/2 HP motor but they put out more like 1 HP.

Levi Mevis wrote:Don't let David See that! He'll want to find one just like it to add to his growing collection of big fans!
LOL I saw it!  Don't need any more big fans! They just keep finding me!

Attachment: Monogram_no_6.pdf (Downloaded 31 times)

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Mon Feb 19th, 2018 07:10 pm
  PMQuoteReply
6th Post
Steve Rockwell
AFCA Member


Joined: Tue Jun 23rd, 2015
Location:  
Status: 
Offline
Very nice!  Are you planning to get this one or one like it?

No plans, David.
    It's a 1901 photo showcasing G.E.'s motor, and an application to which it was put. There are similar photos over time with Davidson blades and with Buffalo blowers. 




Earliest association with Sturtevant I've found so far is a Thomson-Houston catalog listing from May 1892.

 

Last edited on Mon Feb 19th, 2018 07:11 pm by Steve Rockwell

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Mon Feb 19th, 2018 11:58 pm
  PMQuoteReply
7th Post
David Allen
AFCA Member
 

Joined: Mon Mar 6th, 2017
Location: Northport, Alabama, USA
Status: 
Offline
Steve Rockwell wrote:
No plans, David.

    It's a 1901 photo showcasing G.E.'s motor, and an application to which it was put. There are similar photos over time with Davidson blades and with Buffalo blowers. 




Earliest association with Sturtevant I've found so far is a Thomson-Houston catalog listing from May 1892.


 



Nice old documents!  Would be SO cool to have one of these old machines.

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

Current time is 11:40 pm  
AFCA Forums > Antique Fan Collectors Association > Pre-1950 (Antique) > Sturtevant No.5 Monogram Blower Top



Beige Theme By: Di @ UltraBB
UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1664 seconds (18% database + 82% PHP). 29 queries executed.