AFCA Forums Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

 Moderated by: Steve Cunningham, Rod Rogers, Larry Hancock
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Need Some Help Fellas  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Wed Jun 13th, 2018 05:01 am
  PMQuoteReply
1st Post
Richard Daugird
AFCA Member
 

Joined: Tue Sep 12th, 2017
Location: Texas City, Between Hou. & Galveston, Texas USA
Status: 
Offline
I know this is not an antique fan and I hate to ask, but I'm in a dilemma. My dad is in his 70s and has a "Big A$$ Fan" The big $3,000 ceiling fan. Is anyone familiar with these? I am tasked with taking it to the armature shop tomorrow to have it rewound. To me it is ridiculous a $3,000 fan is burned out in, I'm not sure how many years he's had it, but I know it was after 9/11. Are these things made in USA? Am I wrong to be pi$$ed off? He can afford to throw money away, but I hate to see it! Is this thing gonna take a $hit again a couple years later?

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Wed Jun 13th, 2018 05:05 am
  PMQuoteReply
2nd Post
Steve Cunningham
Administrator


Joined: Mon Nov 14th, 2005
Location: Houston, Texas USA
Status: 
Offline
Can you post a picture? Where is he?

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Wed Jun 13th, 2018 05:11 am
  PMQuoteReply
3rd Post
Richard Daugird
AFCA Member
 

Joined: Tue Sep 12th, 2017
Location: Texas City, Between Hou. & Galveston, Texas USA
Status: 
Offline
Texas City. The fan motor is in a box, I haven't looked at it. The shop is competent, I'm just skeptical if this is a big expensive paperweight. Why is it already in need of repair? We all have 100+ year old fans that run great. Are the big a$$ fans Chinese crap?

Last edited on Wed Jun 13th, 2018 05:14 am by Richard Daugird

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Wed Jun 13th, 2018 10:08 am
  PMQuoteReply
4th Post
Greg Rodocker
AFCA Member
 

Joined: Sat Jun 14th, 2014
Location: Evansville, Indiana
Status: 
Offline
Have you contacted the company about repair or replacement? Many good companies will repair or replace out of warranty. Looks like they are based out of Lexington KY and have a showroom in Houston.
Big posterior fans service

Good luck
Greg

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Wed Jun 13th, 2018 10:14 am
  PMQuoteReply
5th Post
David Allen
AFCA Member
 

Joined: Mon Mar 6th, 2017
Location: Northport, Alabama, USA
Status: 
Offline
Richard Daugird wrote: I know this is not an antique fan and I hate to ask, but I'm in a dilemma. My dad is in his 70s and has a "Big A$$ Fan" The big $3,000 ceiling fan. Is anyone familiar with these? I am tasked with taking it to the armature shop tomorrow to have it rewound. To me it is ridiculous a $3,000 fan is burned out in, I'm not sure how many years he's had it, but I know it was after 9/11. Are these things made in USA? Am I wrong to be pi$$ed off? He can afford to throw money away, but I hate to see it! Is this thing gonna take a $hit again a couple years later?
Richard, we have BigAss Fans in our high bay shops where I work. They are very effective, however they seem to have some durability issues. In our case, they have developed a grinding noise sounding like failing ball bearings.  It has unofficially been renamed the "Angry Donkey" because of the noise and the picture of a donkey on the controls! LOL


Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Wed Jun 13th, 2018 03:36 pm
  PMQuoteReply
6th Post
Richard Daugird
AFCA Member
 

Joined: Tue Sep 12th, 2017
Location: Texas City, Between Hou. & Galveston, Texas USA
Status: 
Offline
I discovered it was an extra motor; they gave him a new one under warranty and never took the old one back.

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Wed Jun 13th, 2018 03:39 pm
  PMQuoteReply
7th Post
David Allen
AFCA Member
 

Joined: Mon Mar 6th, 2017
Location: Northport, Alabama, USA
Status: 
Offline
Richard Daugird wrote: I discovered it was an extra motor; they gave him a new one under warranty and never took the old one back.
That's good to know!

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Wed Jun 13th, 2018 08:13 pm
  PMQuoteReply
8th Post
Richard Daugird
AFCA Member
 

Joined: Tue Sep 12th, 2017
Location: Texas City, Between Hou. & Galveston, Texas USA
Status: 
Offline
Turns out the motor's good, but the circuit board is the problem. They won't sell a replacement board, just a new $3,000 motor. Anybody know how to fix a circuit board?

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Wed Jun 13th, 2018 09:05 pm
  PMQuoteReply
9th Post
Steve Sherwood
AFCA Member


Joined: Mon Nov 14th, 2005
Location: Peculiar, Missouri USA
Status: 
Offline
Fixing a circuit board without a diagram can be very difficult. What does the circuit board do? Is it a speed control? Does the fan have a AC or DC motor. It could be a rectifier board if the motor is DC. Where I work we have circuit board failures all the time. None of our vendors repair boards. None of them will supply diagrams to repair them. Most companies outsource the manufacturing of circuit boards to other companies to have them made. Most of the circuit boards we deal with are made in Germany or China.

One of the most common circuit board failures we have is on sonic cleaners. If it's out of warranty you have to buy a new sonic cleaner. If it's under warranty, they replace the sonic cleaner. That's the world we live today. Buy a new one, no one can repair the board and they will not sell a new circuit board.

One component, like a 10 cent resistor could be the problem with your board, but figuring that out could cost a bunch of $$$ even with a diagram of the board.Even if they would sell the board and you put it in and it goes poof. Then you have to figure out caused the board to go bad. Welcome to my world...Sorry you are having problems with this.

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Wed Jun 13th, 2018 09:07 pm
  PMQuoteReply
10th Post
Levi Mevis
AFCA Member
 

Joined: Tue Feb 24th, 2015
Location: Elkhart, Indiana USA
Status: 
Offline
They actually have several of those fans at the local Planet Fitness locations near me, except they are painted in Planet Fitness's Purple and yellow colors.

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Wed Jun 13th, 2018 09:09 pm
  PMQuoteReply
11th Post
Levi Mevis
AFCA Member
 

Joined: Tue Feb 24th, 2015
Location: Elkhart, Indiana USA
Status: 
Offline
Steve Sherwood wrote: Fixing a circuit board without a diagram can be very difficult. What does the circuit board do? Is it a speed control? Does the fan have a AC or DC motor. It could be a rectifier board if the motor is DC. Where I work we have circuit board failures all the time. None of our vendors repair boards. None of them will supply diagrams to repair them. Most companies outsource the manufacturing of circuit boards to other companies to have them made. Most of the circuit boards we deal with are made in Germany or China.

One of the most common circuit board failures we have is on sonic cleaners. If it's out of warranty you have to buy a new sonic cleaner. If it's under warranty, they replace the sonic cleaner. That's the world we live today. Buy a new one, no one can repair the board and they will not sell a new circuit board.

One component, like a 10 cent resistor could be the problem with your board, but figuring that out could cost a bunch of $$$ even with a diagram of the board.Even if they would sell the board and you put it in and it goes poof. Then you have to figure out caused the board to go bad. Welcome to my world...Sorry you are having problems with this.
Welcome to the world of Planned Obsolescence, servicing you since 1924! 

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Wed Jun 13th, 2018 09:26 pm
  PMQuoteReply
12th Post
Richard Daugird
AFCA Member
 

Joined: Tue Sep 12th, 2017
Location: Texas City, Between Hou. & Galveston, Texas USA
Status: 
Offline
They last three years and cost $3000, that's a grand a year, or close to $100 a month. Too bad they don't lease them. I will never recommend this company. Another reason to love antique fans!!!

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Wed Jun 13th, 2018 10:49 pm
  PMQuoteReply
13th Post
Levi Mevis
AFCA Member
 

Joined: Tue Feb 24th, 2015
Location: Elkhart, Indiana USA
Status: 
Offline
Richard,  the planet fitness location near me has about 6 of those Big Ass fans in their building and they've been open for 5 years now and as far as I know they are still using the same fans they installed in their facility when they opened it 5 years ago...

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Wed Jun 13th, 2018 11:07 pm
  PMQuoteReply
14th Post
David Allen
AFCA Member
 

Joined: Mon Mar 6th, 2017
Location: Northport, Alabama, USA
Status: 
Offline
Richard Daugird wrote: Turns out the motor's good, but the circuit board is the problem. They won't sell a replacement board, just a new $3,000 motor. Anybody know how to fix a circuit board?
The circuit board is a VFD on the BigAss Fans at our shop. You might be able to remove it altogether and replace it with a different generic VFD.

Normally, with these small VFD's, when they fail it is catastrophic and there is not much left to fix.

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Thu Jun 14th, 2018 01:54 am
  PMQuoteReply
15th Post
Jamie Williams
AFCA Member


Joined: Wed Nov 16th, 2016
Location: Cary, North Carolina USA
Status: 
Offline
Richard,

We install these often, as they are a preferred brand for everyone's favorite online retailer in their warehouses. :D

They have always been a reputable vendor to us on the commercial side, but I tend to agree with Paul. If the motor is good a $150 single phase VFD should be an upgrade, rather than a like-for-like replacement for the circuit board.

Just make sure you take the time to input the actual nameplate operating parameters of the motor into the drive during setup. An improperly set up speed drive will give you as many problems as a mad wife.

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Thu Jun 14th, 2018 12:01 pm
  PMQuoteReply
16th Post
David Allen
AFCA Member
 

Joined: Mon Mar 6th, 2017
Location: Northport, Alabama, USA
Status: 
Offline
Jamie Williams wrote: ...... An improperly set up speed drive will give you as many problems as a mad wife.
LOL! :imao I like this and really agree with you!

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Thu Jun 14th, 2018 03:47 pm
  PMQuoteReply
17th Post
Richard Daugird
AFCA Member
 

Joined: Tue Sep 12th, 2017
Location: Texas City, Between Hou. & Galveston, Texas USA
Status: 
Offline
I will investigate the VFD option, thanks.

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

Current time is 04:15 pm  
AFCA Forums > Antique Fan Collectors Association > Pre-1950 (Antique) > Need Some Help Fellas Top



Beige Theme By: Di @ UltraBB
UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.2560 seconds (22% database + 78% PHP). 32 queries executed.