AFCA Forums Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
AFCA Forums > Antique Fan Collectors Association > Pre-1950 (Antique) > Method of removing Westinghouse stator

 Moderated by: Steve Cunningham, Rod Rogers, Larry Hancock
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Method of removing Westinghouse stator  Rate Topic 
 Posted: Fri Jul 12th, 2019 04:22 am
1st Post
Justin Tanger

Joined: Thu Jan 26th, 2012
Location: New Hampshire USA
This is how I remove the stators from stamped steel Wesinghouse fans. Requires a welder but seems easier than drilling and punching method. It's a frame that is just slightly wider than the motor but narrower than the body/housing, a piece of steel is drilled and dropped below the stator and a bolt put through, another piece on top, with shims as required, and the two are bolted together, forcing the stator out. Done a few this way, one was still tight enough to make me nervous to use heat I believe, but popped out several others without it. Be mindful that the steel below the stator doesn't shift and start to pull up the rotor hole, damaging the laminations.

In the last photo there would be a block of wood, etc between the frame and top steel to allow room for the stator to pull up. Here's one I just rebuilt after taking apart years ago - 

I know they're not as desirable as most brands and this is still a PITA, but hope this helps some people down the road regardless and keeps some antiques alive.

Last edited on Fri Jul 12th, 2019 04:22 am by Justin Tanger

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Fri Jul 12th, 2019 09:30 am
2nd Post
Lane Shirey
AFCA Member

Joined: Wed Apr 30th, 2014
Location: Downingtown, Pennsylvania USA
That’s cool Justin!  Thanks for posting your solution! 

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

Current time is 04:40 am  
AFCA Forums > Antique Fan Collectors Association > Pre-1950 (Antique) > Method of removing Westinghouse stator Top

Beige Theme By: Di @ UltraBB
UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1388 seconds (12% database + 88% PHP). 27 queries executed.