AFCA Forums Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
AFCA Forums > Antique Fan Collectors Association > Pre-1950 (Antique) > Adjust A Volt - Voltage Transformer for Fans

 Moderated by: Steve Cunningham, Rod Rogers, Larry Hancock
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Adjust A Volt - Voltage Transformer for Fans  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sat Aug 3rd, 2019 02:14 am
  PMQuoteReply
1st Post
Dave McManaman
AFCA Member


Joined: Sat Apr 22nd, 2017
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska USA
Status: 
Offline
This is fan related but if I posted in the wrong area, please let me know or move it appropriately.  
I picked up a small variable transformer with the idea that I would use it on some of my older fans but, frankly, I don't know if it's big enough for the job or even how to wire it up.  It's listed at 2.4 amps.  I've since read several posts suggesting 5 amps or more.  Am I out of luck?  If not, any pointers on how I'd go about wiring it would be greatly appreciated!  If it'll work, I planned on mounting it in an old box I have as I've seen others do.  Here's a picture.  Thanks for any responses.


Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Sat Aug 3rd, 2019 02:19 am
  PMQuoteReply
2nd Post
Richard Daugird
AFCA Member
 

Joined: Tue Sep 12th, 2017
Location: Texas City, Between Hou. & Galveston, Texas USA
Status: 
Offline
Sure it'll work, as long as your fan uses no more than the rated amperage. I run almost all my fans on Variac-type controls. I have the wiring instructions somewhere.

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Sat Aug 3rd, 2019 02:41 am
  PMQuoteReply
3rd Post
Dave McManaman
AFCA Member


Joined: Sat Apr 22nd, 2017
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska USA
Status: 
Offline
Richard Daugird wrote: Sure it'll work, as long as your fan uses no more than the rated amperage. I run almost all my fans on Variac-type controls. I have the wiring instructions somewhere.Thanks Richard.  I'd seen that you've gotten quite an assortment of variac type controls and so i appreciate your advice!

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Sat Aug 3rd, 2019 03:42 am
  PMQuoteReply
4th Post
Richard Daugird
AFCA Member
 

Joined: Tue Sep 12th, 2017
Location: Texas City, Between Hou. & Galveston, Texas USA
Status: 
Offline
It was actually Steve Stephens who turned me on to Variacs. Here's some info:http://www.afcaforum.com/forum1/49416.html

http://www.afcaforum.com/forum1/49339.html

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Sat Aug 3rd, 2019 01:46 pm
  PMQuoteReply
5th Post
Don Tener
AFCA Member


Joined: Fri Dec 21st, 2012
Location: Saint Petersburg FL, Florida USA
Status: 
Offline
I hardly ever used a Variac until i got into this crazy hobby. Now I have a bunch of them including this large 33 amp model that will most likely run all my fans at the same time :D






Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Sun Aug 4th, 2019 12:06 am
  PMQuoteReply
6th Post
David Allen
AFCA Member
 

Joined: Mon Mar 6th, 2017
Location: Northport, Alabama, USA
Status: 
Offline
Dave McManaman wrote: This is fan related but if I posted in the wrong area, please let me know or move it appropriately.  

I picked up a small variable transformer with the idea that I would use it on some of my older fans but, frankly, I don't know if it's big enough for the job or even how to wire it up.  It's listed at 2.4 amps.  I've since read several posts suggesting 5 amps or more.  Am I out of luck?  If not, any pointers on how I'd go about wiring it would be greatly appreciated!  If it'll work, I planned on mounting it in an old box I have as I've seen others do.  Here's a picture.  Thanks for any responses.








Yep! That will work nicely for all but the gnarliest of overpowered desk fans! :)

Hooking it up is simple.

First, create a common Neutral connection. Join the following:
-Power cord Neutral wire.
-Output to fan Neutral wire.
-Variac terminal #4

Next, connect the power cord Live wire to the variac terminal #1

Finally, connect the output to fan Live wire to the variac terminal #3.

To make a complete system, a toggle switch, and a fuse / circuit breaker would be good to have in the incoming Live circuit.






Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Sun Aug 4th, 2019 12:16 am
  PMQuoteReply
7th Post
James Henderson
AFCA Member
 

Joined: Fri Jul 31st, 2015
Location:  
Status: 
Offline
Too nice looking to hide in a wooden box.

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Sun Aug 4th, 2019 01:33 am
  PMQuoteReply
8th Post
Russ Huber
AFCA Member


Joined: Mon Nov 14th, 2005
Location: Southwest, Wisconsin USA
Status: 
Offline
That one is a nice snag, Dave.  A 16" GE cake can pull just over 2 amps.  I have a compact 2.5 amp buried somewhere.  :D

Last edited on Sun Aug 4th, 2019 01:43 am by Russ Huber

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Sun Aug 4th, 2019 07:36 am
  PMQuoteReply
9th Post
Richard Daugird
AFCA Member
 

Joined: Tue Sep 12th, 2017
Location: Texas City, Between Hou. & Galveston, Texas USA
Status: 
Offline
My 16" pancake pulls over 4 amps on start. Should I be worried?



Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Sun Aug 4th, 2019 09:08 am
  PMQuoteReply
10th Post
David Allen
AFCA Member
 

Joined: Mon Mar 6th, 2017
Location: Northport, Alabama, USA
Status: 
Offline
Richard Daugird wrote: My 16" pancake pulls over 4 amps on start. Should I be worried?








No worries at all. The rating for a transformer or really anything with a winding, is a continuous rating. Startup loads won't hurt it. A 2.5 amp time-delay fuse would be good to protect this. They are used to protect motors as well, allowing for startup.

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Sun Aug 4th, 2019 04:41 pm
  PMQuoteReply
11th Post
Russ Huber
AFCA Member


Joined: Mon Nov 14th, 2005
Location: Southwest, Wisconsin USA
Status: 
Offline






Russ Huber wrote:
That one is a nice snag, Dave.  A 16" GE cake can pull just over 2 amps.  I have a compact 2.5 amp buried somewhere.  :D

Attached Image (viewed 294 times):

untitled.png

Last edited on Sun Aug 4th, 2019 04:42 pm by Russ Huber

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Sun Aug 4th, 2019 06:29 pm
  PMQuoteReply
12th Post
Richard Daugird
AFCA Member
 

Joined: Tue Sep 12th, 2017
Location: Texas City, Between Hou. & Galveston, Texas USA
Status: 
Offline
It does simmer down to 2.6 after a second or two. That won't hurt a 3 amp Variac? 

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Sun Aug 4th, 2019 06:34 pm
  PMQuoteReply
13th Post
David Allen
AFCA Member
 

Joined: Mon Mar 6th, 2017
Location: Northport, Alabama, USA
Status: 
Offline
Richard Daugird wrote: It does simmer down to 2.6 after a second or two. That won't hurt a 3 amp Variac? 
Not in the least!

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Sun Aug 4th, 2019 06:35 pm
  PMQuoteReply
14th Post
Richard Daugird
AFCA Member
 

Joined: Tue Sep 12th, 2017
Location: Texas City, Between Hou. & Galveston, Texas USA
Status: 
Offline
Thanks.

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Tue Aug 6th, 2019 02:37 am
  PMQuoteReply
15th Post
Dave McManaman
AFCA Member


Joined: Sat Apr 22nd, 2017
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska USA
Status: 
Offline
Thanks all.  I really appreciated the links Richard - i thought I'd looked at all of the relevant ones when i searched but missed those.  David, thanks for the very basic directions on wiring.  Easy to follow.  As i started looking at it, however, i realized #3 isn't really anything more than a screw that seems to hold the end plate in place.  I found the red wire goes to #2, the green to #5, and yellow to #4.  Here are some pictures.  Does that shuffle the deck for a different schematic?  Thanks again for your tutelage in this!





Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Tue Aug 6th, 2019 03:56 am
  PMQuoteReply
16th Post
Jim Kovar
AFCA Member


Joined: Mon Feb 21st, 2011
Location:  Lincoln, Nebraska USA
Status: 
Offline
Dave McManaman wrote:

That #3 terminal on yours is jacked up!






#3 should look the same as the others.


Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Tue Aug 6th, 2019 09:51 am
  PMQuoteReply
17th Post
David Allen
AFCA Member
 

Joined: Mon Mar 6th, 2017
Location: Northport, Alabama, USA
Status: 
Offline
Dave McManaman wrote: Thanks all.  I really appreciated the links Richard - i thought I'd looked at all of the relevant ones when i searched but missed those.  David, thanks for the very basic directions on wiring.  Easy to follow.  As i started looking at it, however, i realized #3 isn't really anything more than a screw that seems to hold the end plate in place.  I found the red wire goes to #2, the green to #5, and yellow to #4.  Here are some pictures.  Does that shuffle the deck for a different schematic?  Thanks again for your tutelage in this!























































































Hi Dave.  There's a moving contact which picks up the voltage from the winding on the core. That arm connected to the #3 screw is part of the contact assembly carrying current from the core to the terminal.  The front of the terminal board should have another piece of metal behind the screw which seems to be missing. The unit should still work but you'll have to use a ring lug style terminal to make a safe connection there.














Last edited on Tue Aug 6th, 2019 09:56 am by David Allen

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Sun Aug 11th, 2019 05:15 pm
  PMQuoteReply
18th Post
Dave McManaman
AFCA Member


Joined: Sat Apr 22nd, 2017
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska USA
Status: 
Offline

Thanks David.  So #3 picks up the voltage off the moving link to the winding core?  I'd have never known that!  I figured it was just to hold it in place.  It seems odd that there are wires going into the back of a couple posts that I won't, then, hook up to (red to #2, and green to #5) but I know very little in this area.  On a final note, I've looked online for a ring style lug terminal (by terminology and by picture) and haven't found anything like what's on there for the other four.  Do you have suggestions as to where I might look?  Thanks again!

 David Allen wrote:Dave McManaman wrote: Thanks all.  I really appreciated the links Richard - i thought I'd looked at all of the relevant ones when i searched but missed those.  David, thanks for the very basic directions on wiring.  Easy to follow.  As i started looking at it, however, i realized #3 isn't really anything more than a screw that seems to hold the end plate in place.  I found the red wire goes to #2, the green to #5, and yellow to #4.  Here are some pictures.  Does that shuffle the deck for a different schematic?  Thanks again for your tutelage in this!























































































Hi Dave.  There's a moving contact which picks up the voltage from the winding on the core. That arm connected to the #3 screw is part of the contact assembly carrying current from the core to the terminal.  The front of the terminal board should have another piece of metal behind the screw which seems to be missing. The unit should still work but you'll have to use a ring lug style terminal to make a safe connection there.















Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Sun Aug 11th, 2019 05:22 pm
  PMQuoteReply
19th Post
David Allen
AFCA Member
 

Joined: Mon Mar 6th, 2017
Location: Northport, Alabama, USA
Status: 
Offline

Dave McManaman wrote:


Thanks David.  So #3 picks up the voltage off the moving link to the winding core?  I'd have never known that!  I figured it was just to hold it in place.  It seems odd that there are wires going into the back of a couple posts that I won't, then, hook up to (red to #2, and green to #5) but I know very little in this area.  On a final note, I've looked online for a ring style lug terminal (by terminology and by picture) and haven't found anything like what's on there for the other four.  Do you have suggestions as to where I might look?  Thanks again!



 David Allen wrote:Dave McManaman wrote: Thanks all.  I really appreciated the links Richard - i thought I'd looked at all of the relevant ones when i searched but missed those.  David, thanks for the very basic directions on wiring.  Easy to follow.  As i started looking at it, however, i realized #3 isn't really anything more than a screw that seems to hold the end plate in place.  I found the red wire goes to #2, the green to #5, and yellow to #4.  Here are some pictures.  Does that shuffle the deck for a different schematic?  Thanks again for your tutelage in this!






















































































Hi Dave.  There's a moving contact which picks up the voltage from the winding on the core. That arm connected to the #3 screw is part of the contact assembly carrying current from the core to the terminal.  The front of the terminal board should have another piece of metal behind the screw which seems to be missing. The unit should still work but you'll have to use a ring lug style terminal to make a safe connection there.
































I'm sorry the formatting is poor in this message for some reason I can't delete the empty space above.

This is what I had in mind:


You would carefully remove screw #3 and place one of these under it, so that you have a permanent connection.

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Tue Aug 13th, 2019 02:19 am
  PMQuoteReply
20th Post
Dave McManaman
AFCA Member


Joined: Sat Apr 22nd, 2017
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska USA
Status: 
Offline
Thanks again David!

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Tue Aug 13th, 2019 04:46 am
  PMQuoteReply
21st Post
Richard Daugird
AFCA Member
 

Joined: Tue Sep 12th, 2017
Location: Texas City, Between Hou. & Galveston, Texas USA
Status: 
Offline
David Allen is the Jimmy Page of electric motors. Check out some of his Youtube videos; even an idiot like me can grasp the concepts(barely). Hey David, I wish you'd do some "Schoolhouse Rock" style videos explaining stuff for dummies like me...

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Tue Aug 13th, 2019 04:48 am
  PMQuoteReply
22nd Post
Richard Daugird
AFCA Member
 

Joined: Tue Sep 12th, 2017
Location: Texas City, Between Hou. & Galveston, Texas USA
Status: 
Offline
https://www.youtube.com/user/davida1hiwaaynet

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Tue Aug 13th, 2019 12:14 pm
  PMQuoteReply
23rd Post
Michael Rathberger
AFCA Member


Joined: Tue Nov 15th, 2005
Location:  
Status: 
Offline
Richard Daugird wrote: David Allen is the Jimmy Page of electric motors. Check out some of his Youtube videos; even an idiot like me can grasp the concepts(barely). Hey David, I wish you'd do some "Schoolhouse Rock" style videos explaining stuff for dummies like me...


When David posts, I make sure I read his posts in the hope some of it sticks. Bill Fanum is another and was kind enough to do a presentation on motor basics at FanFair this year. He started out with safety, which quickly made me realize I probably should have perished several years ago -- about the same time I found my first fan. As it progressed, I found myself understanding a few things and thought, wow, I know something. Then Bill told began to tell us how to make a 220 fan run on 110. He went through it twice for us, and I reversed my previous thought about knowing anything. Still learning...


 


 

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

Current time is 02:04 pm  
AFCA Forums > Antique Fan Collectors Association > Pre-1950 (Antique) > Adjust A Volt - Voltage Transformer for Fans Top



Beige Theme By: Di @ UltraBB
UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.2280 seconds (26% database + 74% PHP). 40 queries executed.