I got a chance to do some work on my own stuff for a change and I've been wanting to make changes to the first 8 inch figure eight orbiter.
Here's a short video of it taken this morning.
The all brass look wasn't doing it for me, so I decided to do up the base and motor housing in a gun blue finish. It breaks up the monotony of the all brass look nicely, I think.
Second, functionally, it was problematic. It would get hot due to the incompatibility of the speed controller with the motor which was a good sized ventilator motor. Being heavy it stressed the orbit motor too much, too.
So I bought one of these;
They are 12V, permanent magnet ball bearing motors. The make great fan motors, quiet and powerful. The spin at 3000rpm. I tried something I didn't know if it would work, but I hooked up my PWM speed controller on the front side of the 12v adapter and it controls the speed pretty nicely.
So the less weight of this motor allows the orbit motor to have a nice time of it. Less stress on everything.
I never liked the cage struts I had so I made more convention types and now the cage is more securely attached. Lastly, I prefer rubber feet so I did away with the felt bottom.
Now I have a fan I can use every day. Six wings at 3k rpm pushes a LOT of air, even at 8 inches.
But best of all (satisfies the designer in me) it pulls a whopping 8 watts and with the orbit motor, it's tops out a 12 watts all in. Oh, yeah, that's efficiency, right there.
After it was all done and I had made the video, I noticed it wasn't complete. So, I knocked out an "8" for the front cage ring. It pops in place without solder or fasteners.