AFCA Forums Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

 Moderated by: Steve Cunningham, Rod Rogers, Larry Hancock
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Westinghouse DC fan  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Mon Mar 16th, 2020 06:19 pm
  PMQuoteReply
1st Post
Chris Conner
Guest


Joined: Sun Sep 16th, 2018
Location: Hobart, Indiana USA
Status: 
Offline
Hello, I am restoring a fan for a friend. It's in good shape but I need some info.It's a Westinghouse 8-SFN-30   Problem is its 100-125 volts but DC 60 cycles.
Can anyone tell me why it would be DC and what I would need to do to be able to run it.
Thanks so much

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Mon Mar 16th, 2020 06:35 pm
  PMQuoteReply
2nd Post
Jim Kovar
AFCA Member


Joined: Mon Feb 21st, 2011
Location:  Lincoln, Nebraska USA
Status: 
Offline
Hi, Chris.

Pretty sure you have a Westinghouse Whirlwind
which uses an AC/DC (universal) motor.

Your fan will (should?) operate OK on 120V ~ 60Hz.



Last edited on Mon Mar 16th, 2020 06:44 pm by Jim Kovar

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Mon Mar 16th, 2020 06:39 pm
  PMQuoteReply
3rd Post
Jim Kovar
AFCA Member


Joined: Mon Feb 21st, 2011
Location:  Lincoln, Nebraska USA
Status: 
Offline

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Mon Mar 16th, 2020 06:48 pm
  PMQuoteReply
4th Post
Chris Conner
Guest


Joined: Sun Sep 16th, 2018
Location: Hobart, Indiana USA
Status: 
Offline
Heres some pics

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Mon Mar 16th, 2020 06:48 pm
  PMQuoteReply
5th Post
Chris Conner
Guest


Joined: Sun Sep 16th, 2018
Location: Hobart, Indiana USA
Status: 
Offline

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Mon Mar 16th, 2020 06:49 pm
  PMQuoteReply
6th Post
Chris Conner
Guest


Joined: Sun Sep 16th, 2018
Location: Hobart, Indiana USA
Status: 
Offline

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Mon Mar 16th, 2020 07:18 pm
  PMQuoteReply
7th Post
David A Cherry
AFCA Member


Joined: Sun May 12th, 2019
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Status: 
Offline
looks like you may have a DC only but more than likely not...that said ...you can safely plug it in and nothing will happen if it's DC ..it just won't run... if it's universal, problem solved ...if it turns out only DC you will need to install this in line ..it should be small enough to fit inside somewhere.. and you'll be on your way ...good luck


NTE Electronics NTE53016 Silicon Bridge Rectifier, Full Wave, Single Phase, Low Profile Epoxy Case, 50 Amps Maximum Output Current, 200V Maximum Recurrent Peak Reverse Voltage https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007Z7LXVQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_7.8BEbN80S4CG

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Mon Mar 16th, 2020 07:33 pm
  PMQuoteReply
8th Post
Vic Valencheck
AFCA Member


Joined: Mon Aug 24th, 2015
Location: Parma, Ohio USA
Status: 
Offline
I'd like to see the inside of that one when you crack it open. I've never seen brushes mounted from the back.

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Mon Mar 16th, 2020 07:43 pm
  PMQuoteReply
9th Post
Chris Conner
Guest


Joined: Sun Sep 16th, 2018
Location: Hobart, Indiana USA
Status: 
Offline
Thanks for the replies .  I've already had it open but I'll send pics.  It's a pretty simple setup

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Mon Mar 16th, 2020 10:53 pm
  PMQuoteReply
10th Post
Chris Conner
Guest


Joined: Sun Sep 16th, 2018
Location: Hobart, Indiana USA
Status: 
Offline





Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Mon Mar 16th, 2020 11:59 pm
  PMQuoteReply
11th Post
Vic Valencheck
AFCA Member


Joined: Mon Aug 24th, 2015
Location: Parma, Ohio USA
Status: 
Offline
I was wondering how that armature would look. Now I know. :wondering:
Thanks for posting.Chris.

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Tue Mar 17th, 2020 12:39 am
  PMQuoteReply
12th Post
Chris Conner
Guest


Joined: Sun Sep 16th, 2018
Location: Hobart, Indiana USA
Status: 
Offline
no problem

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Tue Mar 17th, 2020 02:09 am
  PMQuoteReply
13th Post
Russ Huber
AFCA Member


Joined: Mon Nov 14th, 2005
Location: Southwest, Wisconsin USA
Status: 
Offline
1917 introduction 8' Whirlwind design.

Attached Image (viewed 274 times):

EarlyWhirlwind.jpg

Last edited on Tue Mar 17th, 2020 02:09 am by Russ Huber

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Tue Mar 17th, 2020 02:10 am
  PMQuoteReply
14th Post
Russ Huber
AFCA Member


Joined: Mon Nov 14th, 2005
Location: Southwest, Wisconsin USA
Status: 
Offline
Somewhere between 17 and 23 the strut mounting changed.

Attached Image (viewed 274 times):

Whirlwind2.jpg

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Tue Mar 17th, 2020 02:16 am
  PMQuoteReply
15th Post
Russ Huber
AFCA Member


Joined: Mon Nov 14th, 2005
Location: Southwest, Wisconsin USA
Status: 
Offline
1925 introduced the NEW Westinghouse Whirlwind with radial commutator.
















Attached Image (viewed 275 times):

Whirlwind3.jpg

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Tue Mar 24th, 2020 12:28 am
  PMQuoteReply
16th Post
Chris Conner
Guest


Joined: Sun Sep 16th, 2018
Location: Hobart, Indiana USA
Status: 
Offline
Hey everybody.  So update on the fan.  It runs fine on AC.   I do have another issue I'm looking for information on.The fan motor runs smooth and when checked with a dial indicator it only has about a thousandth of an inch of run out, so its a great shape.   However when I put the fan blade on it has a very noticeable vibration.
I'm guessing it's out of balance.  Theres no obvious signs of damage to it.
Is there any good resources on how to balance the blades?  Again, thanks for any info.

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Wed Mar 25th, 2020 03:57 pm
  PMQuoteReply
17th Post
Levi Mevis
AFCA Member


Joined: Tue Feb 24th, 2015
Location: Elkhart, Indiana USA
Status: 
Offline
Chris Conner wrote: Hey everybody.  So update on the fan.  It runs fine on AC.   I do have another issue I'm looking for information on.The fan motor runs smooth and when checked with a dial indicator it only has about a thousandth of an inch of run out, so its a great shape.   However when I put the fan blade on it has a very noticeable vibration.
I'm guessing it's out of balance.  Theres no obvious signs of damage to it.
Is there any good resources on how to balance the blades?  Again, thanks for any info.
Hello Fellow Hoosier! More than likely your blades are out of balance, but the problem is that your fan has bakelite blades and so you'll have to be careful balancing them otherwise the blades might break. 
What I usually do to rebalance blades is that I just mark the blades with a piece of tape marked 1-4 on the blades then tweak the blades ever so slightly towards the front or the back and the test the fan and just keep doing that until the vibration is at a minimum.

Hope this helps.

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Wed Mar 25th, 2020 04:21 pm
  PMQuoteReply
18th Post
Sean Campbell
AFCA Member


Joined: Fri Jul 6th, 2018
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana USA
Status: 
Offline
Another for the Indiana club! :D Personally, I would heat up the Bakelite blades to make them more malleable and to lessen the chance of them breaking.
Levi Mevis wrote: Chris Conner wrote: Hey everybody.  So update on the fan.  It runs fine on AC.   I do have another issue I'm looking for information on.The fan motor runs smooth and when checked with a dial indicator it only has about a thousandth of an inch of run out, so its a great shape.   However when I put the fan blade on it has a very noticeable vibration.
I'm guessing it's out of balance.  Theres no obvious signs of damage to it.
Is there any good resources on how to balance the blades?  Again, thanks for any info.
Hello Fellow Hoosier! More than likely your blades are out of balance, but the problem is that your fan has bakelite blades and so you'll have to be careful balancing them otherwise the blades might break. 
What I usually do to rebalance blades is that I just mark the blades with a piece of tape marked 1-4 on the blades then tweak the blades ever so slightly towards the front or the back and the test the fan and just keep doing that until the vibration is at a minimum.

Hope this helps.

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Wed Mar 25th, 2020 04:42 pm
  PMQuoteReply
19th Post
Chris Conner
Guest


Joined: Sun Sep 16th, 2018
Location: Hobart, Indiana USA
Status: 
Offline
Ok I can try that. Side note they are not bakelite, I believe they are aluminum that's painted black

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Wed Mar 25th, 2020 06:55 pm
  PMQuoteReply
20th Post
David A Cherry
AFCA Member


Joined: Sun May 12th, 2019
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Status: 
Offline
Vic Valencheck wrote: I'd like to see the inside of that one when you crack it open. I've never seen brushes mounted from the back.
this one is a knapp dc fan but it is quite interesting..

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Thu Mar 26th, 2020 12:47 am
  PMQuoteReply
21st Post
Chris Conner
Guest


Joined: Sun Sep 16th, 2018
Location: Hobart, Indiana USA
Status: 
Offline
that is unique. what year is that from?

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Thu Mar 26th, 2020 03:09 am
  PMQuoteReply
22nd Post
Levi Mevis
AFCA Member


Joined: Tue Feb 24th, 2015
Location: Elkhart, Indiana USA
Status: 
Offline
Chris Conner wrote: Ok I can try that. Side note they are not bakelite, I believe they are aluminum that's painted blackNo they are definitely bakelite, your fan is the same age as mine, it's just that yours is an AC/DC version whereas mine is an AC only version and mine has Bakelite blades. 


Mine is pictured below.




Last edited on Thu Mar 26th, 2020 03:10 am by Levi Mevis

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Thu Mar 26th, 2020 03:38 am
  PMQuoteReply
23rd Post
Steve Stephens
AFCA Member


Joined: Mon Nov 14th, 2005
Location: San Anselmo, California USA
Status: 
Offline
The blade on Chris's fan is either steel or aluminum (magnet test??).  Blades on larger Westys from the 20s and 30s are not Bakelite but "Micarta", a durable material invented by Westinghouse.
http://www.erickimberlin.com/old-micarta

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Thu Mar 26th, 2020 03:42 am
  PMQuoteReply
24th Post
Levi Mevis
AFCA Member


Joined: Tue Feb 24th, 2015
Location: Elkhart, Indiana USA
Status: 
Offline
Steve Stephens wrote: The blade on Chris's fan is either steel or aluminum (magnet test??).  Blades on larger Westys from the 20s and 30s are not Bakelite but "Micarta", a durable material invented by Westinghouse.
http://www.erickimberlin.com/old-micarta

Yes, I'm aware of the Micarta Blades but these fans are 8" fans which Westinghouse used Bakelite on rather than Micarta, the reason why I said the OP's blades on his fan might of been Bakelite was because his fan has the same style of cage as my AC Only fan does and mine we deternined had Bakelite blades on it. 

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Thu Mar 26th, 2020 03:44 am
  PMQuoteReply
25th Post
Steve Stephens
AFCA Member


Joined: Mon Nov 14th, 2005
Location: San Anselmo, California USA
Status: 
Offline
Isn't Bakelite pretty brittle in sheets?   I would assume that Westy would use Micarta since they invented it.   I don't remember my similar model having plastic blades.

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Thu Mar 26th, 2020 03:48 am
  PMQuoteReply
26th Post
Levi Mevis
AFCA Member


Joined: Tue Feb 24th, 2015
Location: Elkhart, Indiana USA
Status: 
Offline
I don't think so, considering they made radios cabinets out of bakelite and also fan companies like Vornado and Fresh'nd Aire used Bakelite to make their fan blades.... 
I could be wrong but I didn't think that my fan had micarta blades, and that it was Bakelite, because Micarta was reserved for the higher end 10, 12 and 16 inch models.

I remember that when I initially posted about my fan on here that Russ Huber posted an ad on here about my fan that said that Westinghouse 10" fans starting in the mid 1920s had plastic (bakelite or micarta whichever it was) blades and not aluminum blades.

Levi's Westinghouse Fan Thread

The thread above is the thread about my fan. 
My mistake is that it was actually a 10" fan, not an 8" fan, but it still has the plastic blades (which was Micarta, not Bakelite like I thought, I couldn't remember what the original thread said because it had been a while since I had read through it). 

But the ad that I had mentioned that Russ posted in my thread was from 1923 which was the last year that they made the painted metal blades, in 1924 they went to Micarta blades on these fans.

The OP should post the microdate on his fan's ID badge that would tell us whether or not it was a micarta bladed fan or if it had the painted metal blades. 

Last edited on Thu Mar 26th, 2020 04:25 am by Levi Mevis

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

Current time is 09:42 pm  
AFCA Forums > Antique Fan Collectors Association > Pre-1950 (Antique) > Westinghouse DC fan Top



Beige Theme By: Di @ UltraBB
UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.2045 seconds (16% database + 84% PHP). 33 queries executed.