AFCA Forums Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

 Moderated by: Steve Cunningham, Stan Adams, Rod Rogers
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
An old find from awhile ago  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri May 22nd, 2020 04:46 pm
  PMQuoteReply
1st Post
Austin Ko
Guest


Joined: Wed Mar 5th, 2014
Location: Edison, New Jersey USA
Status: 
Offline
I shared this on facebook when I actually finished it but never shared it here for some reason. Found this at a market a couple years back from a friend that deals in old toys. Had Darryl make new bearings for it and now she runs great now. It was a daily runner back in 2018. One day i’ll look into a switch but for now I do not mind using it as an infinite speed fan on a variac. 

Attached Image (viewed 515 times):

IMG_0427.JPG

Last edited on Fri May 22nd, 2020 04:50 pm by Austin Ko

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Fri May 22nd, 2020 04:48 pm
  PMQuoteReply
2nd Post
Tom Morel
AFCA Member


Joined: Sun Dec 25th, 2011
Location: Long Beach, California USA
Status: 
Offline
Very nice Austin. I'm thinking about sending mine to Paul Graves soon for him to fix the cage and do some work on it-does he build switches too?

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Fri May 22nd, 2020 04:53 pm
  PMQuoteReply
3rd Post
Austin Ko
Guest


Joined: Wed Mar 5th, 2014
Location: Edison, New Jersey USA
Status: 
Offline
.

Attached Image (viewed 513 times):

IMG_0429.JPG

Last edited on Fri May 22nd, 2020 04:54 pm by Austin Ko

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Fri May 22nd, 2020 08:02 pm
  PMQuoteReply
4th Post
Tony Clayton
AFCA Member


Joined: Tue Sep 25th, 2012
Location: Exmore, Virginia USA
Status: 
Offline
Nice addition Austin.Congrats on a awesome find.

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Sat May 23rd, 2020 02:02 am
  PMQuoteReply
5th Post
Zachary Parr
AFCA Member


Joined: Thu Dec 22nd, 2016
Location: Overland Park, Kansas USA
Status: 
Offline
Nice bipolar Austin

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Sat May 23rd, 2020 01:03 pm
  PMQuoteReply
6th Post
David Kilnapp
AFCA Member
 

Joined: Tue Apr 17th, 2018
Location: Pembroke, Massachusetts USA
Status: 
Offline
Now that's a wonderful find! I dream of finding a bi-polar! Very nice!

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Sat May 23rd, 2020 03:22 pm
  PMQuoteReply
7th Post
Bobby Gaines
AFCA Member


Joined: Tue Aug 8th, 2017
Location: Corpus Christi, Texas USA
Status: 
Offline
Man! Where do you guys find nice fans like that? I guess because I live in South Texas. That's a great fan!

Last edited on Sat May 23rd, 2020 03:22 pm by Bobby Gaines

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Sat May 23rd, 2020 09:45 pm
  PMQuoteReply
8th Post
Mark Behrend
AFCA Member


Joined: Thu Oct 21st, 2010
Location: Wildwood, Missouri USA
Status: 
Offline
Definitely a great find!  Congrats!   

Last edited on Sat May 23rd, 2020 09:48 pm by Mark Behrend

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Sat May 23rd, 2020 10:02 pm
  PMQuoteReply
9th Post
Chad Shapiro
AFCA Member
 

Joined: Mon Oct 5th, 2015
Location:  
Status: 
Offline
Glad you did not polish it!!!

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Sun May 24th, 2020 12:00 am
  PMQuoteReply
10th Post
Steve Stephens
AFCA Member


Joined: Mon Nov 14th, 2005
Location: San Anselmo, California USA
Status: 
Offline
Chad Shapiro wrote: Glad you did not polish it!!!It would then look like this.   Pretty but not the antique fan that Austin has.   I like his patina.   Maybe one of both??This is an earlier model that Alan Willms had for sale.










Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Tue May 26th, 2020 07:04 am
  PMQuoteReply
11th Post
Levi Mevis
AFCA Member


Joined: Tue Feb 24th, 2015
Location: Elkhart, Indiana USA
Status: 
Offline
I don't know that "patina" on the blades and cage of Austin's fan looks a bit un-natural to me. 

It looks way too dark and uneven looking almost like someone had artificially aged the brass on the cage and blades of that fan or maybe painted it, because if you look at the brass on the back if the fan it looks more like a natural patina with some brass still visible under the tarnish, whereas the blades and cage on his fan is so darkly colored that you can't even tell its supposed to be brass (most naturally patina'ed brass you can tell its brass because you can see a hint of the gold toning of the brass in the tarnish.) 

But the blades and cage on Austin's fan are pitch black to the point that you can't tell its supposed to be brass, almost as if it may have been artificially tarnished to the extreme and or maybe even painted.

If it were my fan I would try to remove whatever is making those blades and the cage on the fan look so un-naturally dark looking and try to polish it to a more natural looking patina (so it matches the rest of the brass on the fan).

Just my two cents.


Last edited on Tue May 26th, 2020 07:05 am by Levi Mevis

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Tue May 26th, 2020 07:19 am
  PMQuoteReply
12th Post
Tom Morel
AFCA Member


Joined: Sun Dec 25th, 2011
Location: Long Beach, California USA
Status: 
Offline
Levi Mevis wrote: I don't know that "patina" on the blades and cage of Austin's fan looks a bit un-natural to me. 

It looks way too dark and uneven looking almost like someone had artificially aged the brass on the cage and blades of that fan or maybe painted it, because if you look at the brass on the back if the fan it looks more like a natural patina with some brass still visible under the tarnish, whereas the blades and cage on his fan is so darkly colored that you can't even tell its supposed to be brass (most naturally patina'ed brass you can tell its brass because you can see a hint of the gold toning of the brass in the tarnish.) 

But the blades and cage on Austin's fan are pitch black to the point that you can't tell its supposed to be brass, almost as if it may have been artificially tarnished to the extreme and or maybe even painted.

If it were my fan I would try to remove whatever is making those blades and the cage on the fan look so un-naturally dark looking and try to polish it to a more natural looking patina (so it matches the rest of the brass on the fan).

Just my two cents.


Austin's brass is unmolested. I remember when he bought this fan, it had sat in a barn for decades. No polishing other than what WE had done 120 years ago. The brass is unpainted and have heavy patina commensurate with a fan of that age and condition. I won't go down the patina vs polish rabbit role as everyone probably knows where I stand on that one. WE's brass blades often have a bluish tint to their lacquer which may be showing up on the OP's fan. I have noticed that tint on my bipolar and on other original examples.

Brass parts age differently as they are finished differently from the factory. For instance, a blade may maintain much of its luster but the cage will not because blades were highly polished and cages were not. Many had a gilt-like finish on them that gave a matte brass finish not seen on most modern restorations.

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Tue May 26th, 2020 07:32 am
  PMQuoteReply
13th Post
Levi Mevis
AFCA Member


Joined: Tue Feb 24th, 2015
Location: Elkhart, Indiana USA
Status: 
Offline
Tom Morel wrote: Levi Mevis wrote: I don't know that "patina" on the blades and cage of Austin's fan looks a bit un-natural to me. 

It looks way too dark and uneven looking almost like someone had artificially aged the brass on the cage and blades of that fan or maybe painted it, because if you look at the brass on the back if the fan it looks more like a natural patina with some brass still visible under the tarnish, whereas the blades and cage on his fan is so darkly colored that you can't even tell its supposed to be brass (most naturally patina'ed brass you can tell its brass because you can see a hint of the gold toning of the brass in the tarnish.) 

But the blades and cage on Austin's fan are pitch black to the point that you can't tell its supposed to be brass, almost as if it may have been artificially tarnished to the extreme and or maybe even painted.

If it were my fan I would try to remove whatever is making those blades and the cage on the fan look so un-naturally dark looking and try to polish it to a more natural looking patina (so it matches the rest of the brass on the fan).

Just my two cents.


Austin's brass is unmolested. I remember when he bought this fan, it had sat in a barn for decades. No polishing other than what WE had done 120 years ago. The brass is unpainted and have heavy patina commensurate with a fan of that age and condition. I won't go down the patina vs polish rabbit role as everyone probably knows where I stand on that one. WE's brass blades often have a bluish tint to their lacquer which may be showing up on the OP's fan. I have noticed that tint on my bipolar and on other original examples.

Brass parts age differently as they are finished differently from the factory. For instance, a blade may maintain much of its luster but the cage will not because blades were highly polished and cages were not. Many had a gilt-like finish on them that gave a matte brass finish not seen on most modern restorations.

OK, well Austin didn't mention in his original post on here that the fan sat in a barn most of its life, which would explain the extremely inconsistent tarnishing of the fan's brass. And Yes I read every single post in this thread and nothing was mentioned about where this fan originally resided before the fan came into Austin's hands until you said something just now. 

And I'm very well aware of your opinions on fan patina, which is why I worded my comment the way I did, which you apparently didn't completely read my comment or else you would of known I had said that I would of polished the fan to a MORE CONSISTENT looking patina, I never said anything about completely polishing the brass on the fan! 

Please do me a favor Tom and actually read through people's comments fully before replying to them instead of just cherry picking the comments, to save yourself from looking like an idiot.

Thanks,

Levi 


 

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Tue May 26th, 2020 07:53 am
  PMQuoteReply
14th Post
Tom Morel
AFCA Member


Joined: Sun Dec 25th, 2011
Location: Long Beach, California USA
Status: 
Offline
Levi Mevis wrote: Tom Morel wrote: Levi Mevis wrote: I don't know that "patina" on the blades and cage of Austin's fan looks a bit un-natural to me. 

It looks way too dark and uneven looking almost like someone had artificially aged the brass on the cage and blades of that fan or maybe painted it, because if you look at the brass on the back if the fan it looks more like a natural patina with some brass still visible under the tarnish, whereas the blades and cage on his fan is so darkly colored that you can't even tell its supposed to be brass (most naturally patina'ed brass you can tell its brass because you can see a hint of the gold toning of the brass in the tarnish.) 

But the blades and cage on Austin's fan are pitch black to the point that you can't tell its supposed to be brass, almost as if it may have been artificially tarnished to the extreme and or maybe even painted.

If it were my fan I would try to remove whatever is making those blades and the cage on the fan look so un-naturally dark looking and try to polish it to a more natural looking patina (so it matches the rest of the brass on the fan).

Just my two cents.


Austin's brass is unmolested. I remember when he bought this fan, it had sat in a barn for decades. No polishing other than what WE had done 120 years ago. The brass is unpainted and have heavy patina commensurate with a fan of that age and condition. I won't go down the patina vs polish rabbit role as everyone probably knows where I stand on that one. WE's brass blades often have a bluish tint to their lacquer which may be showing up on the OP's fan. I have noticed that tint on my bipolar and on other original examples.

Brass parts age differently as they are finished differently from the factory. For instance, a blade may maintain much of its luster but the cage will not because blades were highly polished and cages were not. Many had a gilt-like finish on them that gave a matte brass finish not seen on most modern restorations.

OK, well Austin didn't mention in his original post on here that the fan sat in a barn most of its life, which would explain the extremely inconsistent tarnishing of the fan's brass. And Yes I read every single post in this thread and nothing was mentioned about where this fan originally resided before the fan came into Austin's hands until you said something just now. 

And I'm very well aware of your opinions on fan patina, which is why I worded my comment the way I did, which you apparently didn't completely read my comment or else you would of known I had said that I would of polished the fan to a MORE CONSISTENT looking patina, I never said anything about completely polishing the brass on the fan! 

Please do me a favor Tom and actually read through people's comments fully before replying to them instead of just cherry picking the comments, to save yourself from looking like an idiot.

Thanks,

Levi 


 
Levi,
I read your comment carefully. Given all the time I now have from quarantine, it's the least I can do. I don't want to malign your words at all: I read through each point and responded to them respectfully and factually. However, I never suggested that you wanted Austin to "completely polish" his fan as you claim I did. I realize that I make mistakes on this forum; as you do and as does everyone else. Nobody on here is absolved from fallacious and dubious statements-everyone should strive for accuracy and substantiated speculations. Calling me an "idiot" doesn't help anything, it only hurts our image as a club and is a poor way to converse.

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Tue May 26th, 2020 08:14 am
  PMQuoteReply
15th Post
Levi Mevis
AFCA Member


Joined: Tue Feb 24th, 2015
Location: Elkhart, Indiana USA
Status: 
Offline
Tom Morel wrote: Levi Mevis wrote: Tom Morel wrote: Levi Mevis wrote: I don't know that "patina" on the blades and cage of Austin's fan looks a bit un-natural to me. 

It looks way too dark and uneven looking almost like someone had artificially aged the brass on the cage and blades of that fan or maybe painted it, because if you look at the brass on the back if the fan it looks more like a natural patina with some brass still visible under the tarnish, whereas the blades and cage on his fan is so darkly colored that you can't even tell its supposed to be brass (most naturally patina'ed brass you can tell its brass because you can see a hint of the gold toning of the brass in the tarnish.) 

But the blades and cage on Austin's fan are pitch black to the point that you can't tell its supposed to be brass, almost as if it may have been artificially tarnished to the extreme and or maybe even painted.

If it were my fan I would try to remove whatever is making those blades and the cage on the fan look so un-naturally dark looking and try to polish it to a more natural looking patina (so it matches the rest of the brass on the fan).

Just my two cents.


Austin's brass is unmolested. I remember when he bought this fan, it had sat in a barn for decades. No polishing other than what WE had done 120 years ago. The brass is unpainted and have heavy patina commensurate with a fan of that age and condition. I won't go down the patina vs polish rabbit role as everyone probably knows where I stand on that one. WE's brass blades often have a bluish tint to their lacquer which may be showing up on the OP's fan. I have noticed that tint on my bipolar and on other original examples.

Brass parts age differently as they are finished differently from the factory. For instance, a blade may maintain much of its luster but the cage will not because blades were highly polished and cages were not. Many had a gilt-like finish on them that gave a matte brass finish not seen on most modern restorations.

OK, well Austin didn't mention in his original post on here that the fan sat in a barn most of its life, which would explain the extremely inconsistent tarnishing of the fan's brass. And Yes I read every single post in this thread and nothing was mentioned about where this fan originally resided before the fan came into Austin's hands until you said something just now. 

And I'm very well aware of your opinions on fan patina, which is why I worded my comment the way I did, which you apparently didn't completely read my comment or else you would of known I had said that I would of polished the fan to a MORE CONSISTENT looking patina, I never said anything about completely polishing the brass on the fan! 

Please do me a favor Tom and actually read through people's comments fully before replying to them instead of just cherry picking the comments, to save yourself from looking like an idiot.

Thanks,

Levi 


 
Levi,
I read your comment carefully. Given all the time I now have from quarantine, it's the least I can do. I don't want to malign your words at all: I read through each point and responded to them respectfully and factually. However, I never suggested that you wanted Austin to "completely polish" his fan as you claim I did. I realize that I make mistakes on this forum; as you do and as does everyone else. Nobody on here is absolved from fallacious and dubious statements-everyone should strive for accuracy and substantiated speculations. Calling me an "idiot" doesn't help anything, it only hurts our image as a club and is a poor way to converse.

Well I'm just going to end this conversation right here, because clearly we aren't going to be able to see eye to eye on this issue, you clearly have a problem with my comments regarding fan patina (even though there's really no way you can justify calling 50+ years of neglect and abuse by storing an antique fan in a barn without any sort of climate control system proper patina.)

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Tue May 26th, 2020 12:34 pm
  PMQuoteReply
16th Post
Austin Ko
Guest


Joined: Wed Mar 5th, 2014
Location: Edison, New Jersey USA
Status: 
Offline
Levi Mevis wrote: I don't know that "patina" on the blades and cage of Austin's fan looks a bit un-natural to me. 

It looks way too dark and uneven looking almost like someone had artificially aged the brass on the cage and blades of that fan or maybe painted it, because if you look at the brass on the back if the fan it looks more like a natural patina with some brass still visible under the tarnish, whereas the blades and cage on his fan is so darkly colored that you can't even tell its supposed to be brass (most naturally patina'ed brass you can tell its brass because you can see a hint of the gold toning of the brass in the tarnish.) 

But the blades and cage on Austin's fan are pitch black to the point that you can't tell its supposed to be brass, almost as if it may have been artificially tarnished to the extreme and or maybe even painted.

If it were my fan I would try to remove whatever is making those blades and the cage on the fan look so un-naturally dark looking and try to polish it to a more natural looking patina (so it matches the rest of the brass on the fan).

Just my two cents.


Levi,
It is not getting polished period. :clap:

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Tue May 26th, 2020 01:08 pm
  PMQuoteReply
17th Post
Chris A. Campbell
AFCA Member


Joined: Thu Mar 6th, 2014
Location: Little Rock, AR
Status: 
Offline
Hey Austin, 
Beautiful fan. You are right, these are best unpolished and your fan is absolutely and unquestionably all natural.

Can you you or someone familiar with these tell me which version this is with a different brush holder mount? The survey link is no longer posted.

Thanks

Attached Image (viewed 165 times):

857759B1-7B6F-411D-8F8A-E9DE19B657DC.jpeg

Last edited on Tue May 26th, 2020 01:28 pm by Chris A. Campbell

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Tue May 26th, 2020 01:32 pm
  PMQuoteReply
18th Post
Austin Ko
Guest


Joined: Wed Mar 5th, 2014
Location: Edison, New Jersey USA
Status: 
Offline
Chris A. Campbell wrote: Hey Austin, 
Beautiful fan. You are right, these are best unpolished and your fan is absolutely and unquestionably all natural.

Can you you or someone familiar with these tell me which version this is with a different brush holder mount? The survey link is no longer posted.

Thanks
Im not sure exact dates but that is the later one with the later style brush holders and the rear bearing caps. Tom Morel was emailed the survey I believe. 

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Tue May 26th, 2020 06:33 pm
  PMQuoteReply
19th Post
Steve Stephens
AFCA Member


Joined: Mon Nov 14th, 2005
Location: San Anselmo, California USA
Status: 
Offline
Austin's fans patina is too heavy but it happened.   I like it the way it is and have a Jandus round ball with similar "black" patina.
Here's my earlier, but maybe not the earliest, Western Electric bipolar which I think has the original finish but not positive.   The earlier models have a thinner base than like on Austin's fan.   My brush holders look different from the fan that Chris posted.  I don't know all of the brush holder versions made.   The top cap on this fan and Tom's is bare brass.   Some have black painted caps although I am not sure it they are brass or steel.  Can one of you guys with a bipolar please check with a magnet.  I've wondered if paint on my fan's cap may have been stripped.
This is an ex-Willms' fan as is the one I posted above that was fully restored.   







Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Tue May 26th, 2020 10:28 pm
  PMQuoteReply
20th Post
Alex Rushing
AFCA Member


Joined: Thu Dec 14th, 2006
Location: Montgomery, Alabama USA
Status: 
Offline
Steve Stephens wrote: Chad Shapiro wrote: Glad you did not polish it!!!It would then look like this.   Pretty but not the antique fan that Austin has.   I like his patina.   Maybe one of both??This is an earlier model that Alan Willms had for sale.










Dear god that is GORGEOUS!
Looks like it is original out of the factory!o

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Wed May 27th, 2020 12:11 am
  PMQuoteReply
21st Post
Tom Morel
AFCA Member


Joined: Sun Dec 25th, 2011
Location: Long Beach, California USA
Status: 
Offline
Steve- the top plate is brass. A magnet doesn't stick.

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

Current time is 05:22 am  
AFCA Forums > Antique Fan Collectors Association > Pre-1950 (Antique) > An old find from awhile ago Top



Beige Theme By: Di @ UltraBB
UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1980 seconds (15% database + 85% PHP). 43 queries executed.