AFCA Forums Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

 Moderated by: Steve Cunningham, Stan Adams, Rod Rogers
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
are ilgs dangerous  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Mon Jul 6th, 2020 04:59 pm
  PMQuoteReply
1st Post
Arjun Saini
Guest
 

Joined: Tue Feb 25th, 2020
Location:  
Status: 
Offline
i heard ilgs are dangerous because of their charged capcitors and i wanted one 

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Mon Jul 6th, 2020 07:31 pm
  PMQuoteReply
2nd Post
Don Tener
AFCA Member


Joined: Fri Dec 21st, 2012
Location: Saint Petersburg FL, Florida USA
Status: 
Offline
That's not true. If that was the case every modern home air compressor and pretty much anything with an electric motor would be dangerous. In reality they are all dangerous if misused but I wouldn't be afraid of an ILG.

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Mon Jul 13th, 2020 05:41 pm
  PMQuoteReply
3rd Post
Arjun Saini
Guest
 

Joined: Tue Feb 25th, 2020
Location:  
Status: 
Offline
oh thanks because my cousin researched them and said if i touch the capcitors i would die is that true that the caps are that dangerous

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Mon Jul 13th, 2020 08:09 pm
  PMQuoteReply
4th Post
Mark Olson
AFCA Member
 

Joined: Thu Nov 22nd, 2018
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana USA
Status: 
Offline
Don't touch the capacitor terminals while the motor is energized.
Don't touch the fan blades while the motor is energized.
Don't touch the metal prongs on a plug when inserting it into a receptacle.
Don't touch any bare wire or terminal unless the power is removed from the circuit.


A capacitor can store electrical energy for quite some time after power is removed from it, but a motor run capacitor will discharge itself through the motor windings. A motor start capacitor can be dangerous, but most have bleeder resistors across the terminals to discharge them.


If you worry about large capacitors, make sure to discharge them by shorting their terminals with a screwdriver having an insulated handle.


If you really don't understand any of this, then an ILG and almost everything else is dangerous.

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Tue Jul 14th, 2020 01:52 am
  PMQuoteReply
5th Post
Don Tener
AFCA Member


Joined: Fri Dec 21st, 2012
Location: Saint Petersburg FL, Florida USA
Status: 
Offline
Yes capacitors are dangerous. But I have larger capacitors in my stereo than most likely are in the ILG.



Here is a pic of one of the capacitors in my stereo






Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Tue Jul 14th, 2020 03:46 am
  PMQuoteReply
6th Post
Levi Mevis
AFCA Member


Joined: Tue Feb 24th, 2015
Location: Elkhart, Indiana USA
Status: 
Offline
Don, what kind of stereo receiver do you have that uses American Made Sangamo Electrolytic Caps as the coupling caps in the amplifier stage?
As far as I know Pioneer, Kenwood-Trio, Panasonic/Technics, Sansui, etc used Japanese sourced capacitors from companies like ELNA, Nippon Chemicon (Nichicon), and others.

 

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Tue Jul 14th, 2020 08:05 am
  PMQuoteReply
7th Post
Don Tener
AFCA Member


Joined: Fri Dec 21st, 2012
Location: Saint Petersburg FL, Florida USA
Status: 
Offline
Levi Mevis wrote: Don, what kind of stereo receiver do you have that uses American Made Sangamo Electrolytic Caps as the coupling caps in the amplifier stage?
As far as I know Pioneer, Kenwood-Trio, Panasonic/Technics, Sansui, etc used Japanese sourced capacitors from companies like ELNA, Nippon Chemicon (Nichicon), and others.

 
It's a Bose 1801 amp. It is about the only real amplifier they made in my opinion. It puts out 250w per channel into 8 ohms. The transformer they used to power it was also used for welders and weighs about 37 lbs by it's self. The whole amp weighs about 80 lbs. It's a real monster amp.








Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Tue Jul 14th, 2020 08:12 am
  PMQuoteReply
8th Post
Levi Mevis
AFCA Member


Joined: Tue Feb 24th, 2015
Location: Elkhart, Indiana USA
Status: 
Offline
Ah, ok, I was wondering about that. Because there weren't too many American companies making High End Stereo Systems in the 1960s and 1970s mostly we were making the cheap low powered all in one systems at that point that were either tube or transistorized.

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Tue Jul 14th, 2020 08:16 am
  PMQuoteReply
9th Post
Don Tener
AFCA Member


Joined: Fri Dec 21st, 2012
Location: Saint Petersburg FL, Florida USA
Status: 
Offline
Levi Mevis wrote: Ah, ok, I was wondering about that. Because there weren't too many American companies making High End Stereo Systems in the 1960s and 1970s mostly we were making the cheap low powered all in one systems at that point that were either tube or transistorized.
I have a few nice amps. I got 3 amps for free from a guy. They are from the late 60's or early 70's. They are Grommes G 102 A 100w tube mono blocks. They sound great and are about my favorite amps. They weigh about 40 lbs each.

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Tue Jul 14th, 2020 08:19 am
  PMQuoteReply
10th Post
Levi Mevis
AFCA Member


Joined: Tue Feb 24th, 2015
Location: Elkhart, Indiana USA
Status: 
Offline
Don Tener wrote: Levi Mevis wrote: Ah, ok, I was wondering about that. Because there weren't too many American companies making High End Stereo Systems in the 1960s and 1970s mostly we were making the cheap low powered all in one systems at that point that were either tube or transistorized.
I have a few nice amps. I got 3 amps for free from a guy. They are from the late 60's or early 70's. They are Grommes G 102 A 100w tube mono blocks. They sound great and are about my favorite amps. They weigh about 40 lbs each.
I wasn't saying we didn't make any, I was just saying that we didn't make very many, not as many as the Japanese did.

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Tue Jul 14th, 2020 04:29 pm
  PMQuoteReply
11th Post
Don Tener
AFCA Member


Joined: Fri Dec 21st, 2012
Location: Saint Petersburg FL, Florida USA
Status: 
Offline
Levi Mevis wrote: Don Tener wrote: Levi Mevis wrote: Ah, ok, I was wondering about that. Because there weren't too many American companies making High End Stereo Systems in the 1960s and 1970s mostly we were making the cheap low powered all in one systems at that point that were either tube or transistorized.
I have a few nice amps. I got 3 amps for free from a guy. They are from the late 60's or early 70's. They are Grommes G 102 A 100w tube mono blocks. They sound great and are about my favorite amps. They weigh about 40 lbs each.
I wasn't saying we didn't make any, I was just saying that we didn't make very many, not as many as the Japanese did.
I wasn't disagreeing with you I just like old amps.

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Tue Jul 14th, 2020 06:16 pm
  PMQuoteReply
12th Post
Levi Mevis
AFCA Member


Joined: Tue Feb 24th, 2015
Location: Elkhart, Indiana USA
Status: 
Offline
I know, I was just making sure you knew I wasn't trying to make a blanket statement about all American electronics manufacturers during that time period, because I know there were some American electronics manufacturers during that time period that made great radios and TVs during that time period that still used point to point wiring on a metal chassis at that time, Companies like Zenith, Motorola, Magnavox, Sylvania, Voice of Music, etc. 

But of course most of those companies offerings were like I said either all-in-one Console Units and Table Top Units, TVs, or Tabletop Radios and Clock Radios and Suitcase or floor model record players, they never to my knowledge offered component units or receivers like the ones offered by Pioneer, Kenwood/Trio, Sansui, Panasonic/Technics, etc.

If I ever come across a Zenith, Magnavox or Motorola tabletop radio or clock radio or suitcase record player, I usually pick them up because they are nice pieces of equipment and vastly superior to any of those junk Crosley units made today (to borrow the phraseology of radiotvphononut on youtube).  

Last edited on Tue Jul 14th, 2020 06:18 pm by Levi Mevis

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Tue Jul 14th, 2020 11:04 pm
  PMQuoteReply
13th Post
Don Tener
AFCA Member


Joined: Fri Dec 21st, 2012
Location: Saint Petersburg FL, Florida USA
Status: 
Offline
Levi Mevis wrote: I know, I was just making sure you knew I wasn't trying to make a blanket statement about all American electronics manufacturers during that time period, because I know there were some American electronics manufacturers during that time period that made great radios and TVs during that time period that still used point to point wiring on a metal chassis at that time, Companies like Zenith, Motorola, Magnavox, Sylvania, Voice of Music, etc. 

But of course most of those companies offerings were like I said either all-in-one Console Units and Table Top Units, TVs, or Tabletop Radios and Clock Radios and Suitcase or floor model record players, they never to my knowledge offered component units or receivers like the ones offered by Pioneer, Kenwood/Trio, Sansui, Panasonic/Technics, etc.

If I ever come across a Zenith, Magnavox or Motorola tabletop radio or clock radio or suitcase record player, I usually pick them up because they are nice pieces of equipment and vastly superior to any of those junk Crosley units made today (to borrow the phraseology of radiotvphononut on youtube).  
I totally agree. Especially about the crosley.

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Thu Jul 16th, 2020 03:45 pm
  PMQuoteReply
14th Post
Richard Daugird
AFCA Member


Joined: Tue Sep 12th, 2017
Location: Texas City, Between Hou. & Galveston, Texas USA
Status: 
Offline
I have a Phase Linear 700 with big caps like that. Seems I remember shipping weight was about 70 lbs!

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

Current time is 09:26 pm  
AFCA Forums > Antique Fan Collectors Association > Post-1950 (Vintage) > are ilgs dangerous Top



Beige Theme By: Di @ UltraBB
UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1751 seconds (15% database + 85% PHP). 36 queries executed.