AFCA Forums Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

 Moderated by: Steve Cunningham, Stan Adams, Rod Rogers
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Couple of Questions...  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sat Aug 1st, 2020 03:45 pm
  PMQuoteReply
1st Post
Brad Schaade
AFCA Member
 

Joined: Mon Jun 29th, 2020
Location:  
Status: 
Offline
Hello all!
Hope everyone is happy and healthy!

I am nearing completion of restoring my Delco 1700... it's been a process for sure! I have a few questions that I need answers to and I am sure you all can assist me...

First, what do I need to put in the tank for lubrication; oil or grease? What kind is commonly used amongst you? I have read about lubrication on some of the forum threads... but I'd like to hear a more definitive answer for this style tank.





I have attached a picture below with colored circles to clarify my next questions - Forgive this pic of the fan base... it looks much better now! In fact, I have the first coat of High Gloss Enamel on it... just waiting for the weather to cooperate to finish it and the rest of the pieces:

This fan was missing the bottom plate(s). Were there two? One to cover the speed switch and another to cover the entire base? I know the speed switch mounts to the RED circled holes. Does a plate cover that and mount to the YELLOW circled holes? Does another plate and/or feet mount to the WHITE circled holes? Why the odd two holes next to one another... has me a bit stumped at the moment.



Finally, what feet were commonly used during this period? What do they look like and where can I find them?

Thanks in advance for any clarifying information on these questions... I am looking forward to finishing this, my first fan restoration, and posting pics in the very near future once I get these final bits of information I need to do so.

Cheers!
- Brad

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Sat Aug 1st, 2020 08:50 pm
  PMQuoteReply
2nd Post
Steve Sherwood
AFCA Member


Joined: Mon Nov 14th, 2005
Location: Peculiar, Missouri USA
Status: 
Offline
There was one fiber cover for the bottom.I assume it screwed in where you have yellow circles. The switch screws in the red circles. You will need measure in inside diameter of the hole for the feet for the white circles. Mcmaster Carr carries rubber grommets. https://www.mcmaster.com/rubber/grommets/grommets-6/
I use wheel bearing grease in the oscillator.Just put a good coat on the gears, no reason to pack it full. Other people use different types of grease. Just about anything will work.That extra hole could be for mounting on a wall? Not sure about that.

Last edited on Sat Aug 1st, 2020 08:56 pm by Steve Sherwood

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Sun Aug 2nd, 2020 05:19 pm
  PMQuoteReply
3rd Post
Sean Campbell
AFCA Member


Joined: Fri Jul 6th, 2018
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana USA
Status: 
Offline
I personally use Lucas Red and Tacky grease. The white holes are for wall mounting.

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Mon Aug 3rd, 2020 03:21 pm
  PMQuoteReply
4th Post
Brad Schaade
AFCA Member
 

Joined: Mon Jun 29th, 2020
Location:  
Status: 
Offline
Steve Sherwood wrote: There was one fiber cover for the bottom.I assume it screwed in where you have yellow circles. The switch screws in the red circles. You will need measure in inside diameter of the hole for the feet for the white circles. Mcmaster Carr carries rubber grommets. https://www.mcmaster.com/rubber/grommets/grommets-6/
I use wheel bearing grease in the oscillator.Just put a good coat on the gears, no reason to pack it full. Other people use different types of grease. Just about anything will work.That extra hole could be for mounting on a wall? Not sure about that.

Hi Steve -

Thanks for the reply! Forgot to ask... this fan also had a front oiler cup with the spring loaded wick. What type of oil is recommended for use in that cup?

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Mon Aug 3rd, 2020 03:23 pm
  PMQuoteReply
5th Post
Brad Schaade
AFCA Member
 

Joined: Mon Jun 29th, 2020
Location:  
Status: 
Offline
Sean Campbell wrote: I personally use Lucas Red and Tacky grease. The white holes are for wall mounting.
Hi Sean - 

Thanks for the reply! Ah-ha! Never thought about the wall mounting! So, do you think this fan had rubber feet at one time? Did some utilize feet and some did not?

B

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Mon Aug 3rd, 2020 07:41 pm
  PMQuoteReply
6th Post
Sean Campbell
AFCA Member


Joined: Fri Jul 6th, 2018
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana USA
Status: 
Offline
It may have had feet, but some didn’t. Personally those look too small for most feet and usually the slots are different. Those look a lot like what wall mount holes normally look like. As for the front oil cup, use either 3 in 1 blue can oil or zoom spout.

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Tue Aug 4th, 2020 03:40 pm
  PMQuoteReply
7th Post
Brad Schaade
AFCA Member
 

Joined: Mon Jun 29th, 2020
Location:  
Status: 
Offline
Sean Campbell wrote: It may have had feet, but some didn’t. Personally those look too small for most feet and usually the slots are different. Those look a lot like what wall mount holes normally look like. As for the front oil cup, use either 3 in 1 blue can oil or zoom spout.
Once again, thanks for the info and your assistance Sean!

Cheers -
Brad

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Tue Aug 4th, 2020 04:05 pm
  PMQuoteReply
8th Post
Sean Campbell
AFCA Member


Joined: Fri Jul 6th, 2018
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana USA
Status: 
Offline
No problem, I look forward to seeing the finished results! 

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

Current time is 09:33 am  
AFCA Forums > Antique Fan Collectors Association > Pre-1950 (Antique) > Couple of Questions... Top



Beige Theme By: Di @ UltraBB
UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1665 seconds (19% database + 81% PHP). 29 queries executed.