AFCA Forums Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

 Moderated by: Steve Cunningham, Stan Adams, Rod Rogers
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
My lucky week.  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Wed Sep 9th, 2020 07:37 pm
  PMQuoteReply
1st Post
Ron Wallace
Guest


Joined: Thu Dec 5th, 2013
Location: Kansas City, Missouri USA
Status: 
Offline
Trust me........I don’t find 2 early fans in the wild in a 10 year period much less in one week!!



Attached Image (viewed 467 times):

E53EC067-B61A-4D5E-8804-F4C17AD0E1E3.jpeg

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Wed Sep 9th, 2020 07:50 pm
  PMQuoteReply
2nd Post
John Smalley
AFCA Member


Joined: Wed Oct 18th, 2017
Location: Breaux Bridge, Louisiana USA
Status: 
Offline
congrats

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Wed Sep 9th, 2020 08:06 pm
  PMQuoteReply
3rd Post
Steve Cunningham
Administrator


Joined: Mon Nov 14th, 2005
Location: Grapevine, TX, Texas USA
Status: 
Offline
Yes you were lucky!

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Wed Sep 9th, 2020 09:30 pm
  PMQuoteReply
4th Post
Mark Behrend
AFCA Member


Joined: Thu Oct 21st, 2010
Location: Wildwood, Missouri USA
Status: 
Offline
Wow, how did you find them? Let’s hear the story. Congrats

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Wed Sep 9th, 2020 09:37 pm
  PMQuoteReply
5th Post
Steve Butler
AFCA Member


Joined: Wed Jul 6th, 2016
Location: Greenfield, Indiana
Status: 
Offline
That one looks a little more promising getting parts made and running.  Congrats on both.  👍👍👍

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Wed Sep 9th, 2020 10:44 pm
  PMQuoteReply
6th Post
Ron Wallace
Guest


Joined: Thu Dec 5th, 2013
Location: Kansas City, Missouri USA
Status: 
Offline
Mark Behrend wrote: Wow, how did you find them? Let’s hear the story. CongratsThanks Mark.............The Holzer was on an online auction within a reasonable driving distance from Kansas City.   How is that for exciting.  :sleeping:    I found the bipolar while helping a friend price antiques for his estate sale business today.  He had already  priced it before I arrived not knowing anything about it.   My wife and I have been helping with his antique pricing for about a year now and have corrected many prices to the benefit of the seller.   This estate sale was a higher end sale with very few antiques.   We almost didn’t go to help because we weren’t certain that we would be of any service.   My wife started looking around while I was chatting with my friend.   She interrupted, “Ron, there’s something in the basement that you might be interested in.” (She has a very good eye) We all followed her......it was sitting on a basement shelf with an $8.00 price tag.   I turned to my friend and told him that it might be a bit under priced.     I told him that I have a special interest in fans and would be interested in buying it if it hasn’t been pictured or advertised.   He assured me that it had not.   I made him an offer that made him spit out his coffee.  😳   The rest is history.    

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Thu Sep 10th, 2020 12:43 am
  PMQuoteReply
7th Post
Ron Wallace
Guest


Joined: Thu Dec 5th, 2013
Location: Kansas City, Missouri USA
Status: 
Offline
Steve Butler wrote: That one looks a little more promising getting parts made and running.  Congrats on both.  👍👍👍Thanks Steve............I agree....this one has a fighting chance.   No one is offering to loan me the back plate from their Holtzer so that I can use it as pattern at the foundry.    :violin:

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Thu Sep 10th, 2020 01:31 am
  PMQuoteReply
8th Post
Louis Luu
AFCA Member
 

Joined: Sat Oct 2nd, 2010
Location:  
Status: 
Offline
I can cast the badge if someone is willing to loan.

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Thu Sep 10th, 2020 02:00 am
  PMQuoteReply
9th Post
Don Tener
AFCA Member


Joined: Fri Dec 21st, 2012
Location: Saint Petersburg FL, Florida USA
Status: 
Offline
very nice! You need to go get a lotto ticket!

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Thu Sep 10th, 2020 02:19 am
  PMQuoteReply
10th Post
Mark Behrend
AFCA Member


Joined: Thu Oct 21st, 2010
Location: Wildwood, Missouri USA
Status: 
Offline
Ron Wallace wrote: Mark Behrend wrote: Wow, how did you find them? Let’s hear the story. CongratsThanks Mark.............The Holzer was on an online auction within a reasonable driving distance from Kansas City.   How is that for exciting.  :sleeping:    I found the bipolar while helping a friend price antiques for his estate sale business today.  He had already  priced it before I arrived not knowing anything about it.   My wife and I have been helping with his antique pricing for about a year now and have corrected many prices to the benefit of the seller.   This estate sale was a higher end sale with very few antiques.   We almost didn’t go to help because we weren’t certain that we would be of any service.   My wife started looking around while I was chatting with my friend.   She interrupted, “Ron, there’s something in the basement that you might be interested in.” (She has a very good eye) We all followed her......it was sitting on a basement shelf with an $8.00 price tag.   I turned to my friend and told him that it might be a bit under priced.     I told him that I have a special interest in fans and would be interested in buying it if it hasn’t been pictured or advertised.   He assured me that it had not.   I made him an offer that made him spit out his coffee.  😳   The rest is history.    
Great story, thanks for sharing!

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Thu Sep 10th, 2020 02:25 am
  PMQuoteReply
11th Post
Ron Wallace
Guest


Joined: Thu Dec 5th, 2013
Location: Kansas City, Missouri USA
Status: 
Offline
Louis Luu wrote: I can cast the badge if someone is willing to loan.That would be wonderful!   But I would thoroughly understand the hesitancy to let such a rare part leave their reach.   Would you use iron or brass?

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Thu Sep 10th, 2020 04:04 am
  PMQuoteReply
12th Post
Ron Wallace
Guest


Joined: Thu Dec 5th, 2013
Location: Kansas City, Missouri USA
Status: 
Offline
Don Tener wrote: very nice! You need to go get a lotto ticket!
Can't afford a lottery ticket.........fan poor!

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Thu Sep 10th, 2020 04:08 am
  PMQuoteReply
13th Post
Don Tener
AFCA Member


Joined: Fri Dec 21st, 2012
Location: Saint Petersburg FL, Florida USA
Status: 
Offline
Ron Wallace wrote: Don Tener wrote: very nice! You need to go get a lotto ticket!
Can't afford a lottery ticket.........fan poor!
:imao:imao:imao:imao:imao

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Thu Sep 10th, 2020 04:11 am
  PMQuoteReply
14th Post
Louis Luu
AFCA Member
 

Joined: Sat Oct 2nd, 2010
Location:  
Status: 
Offline
Use brass.  I too am missing the badge/cage and blade hub for 12 inch.  If I got a hold...I could cast and put it on this forum.

Ron Wallace wrote: Louis Luu wrote: I can cast the badge if someone is willing to loan.That would be wonderful!   But I would thoroughly understand the hesitancy to let such a rare part leave their reach.   Would you use iron or brass?

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Thu Sep 10th, 2020 04:35 am
  PMQuoteReply
15th Post
Ron Wallace
Guest


Joined: Thu Dec 5th, 2013
Location: Kansas City, Missouri USA
Status: 
Offline
Louis Luu wrote: Use brass.  I too am missing the badge/cage and blade hub for 12 inch.  If I got a hold...I could cast and put it on this forum.

Ron Wallace wrote: Louis Luu wrote: I can cast the badge if someone is willing to loan.That would be wonderful!   But I would thoroughly understand the hesitancy to let such a rare part leave their reach.   Would you use iron or brass?
I could use this back plate casting.   I would take it in brass even though it was originally cast iron

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Thu Sep 10th, 2020 04:37 am
  PMQuoteReply
16th Post
Louis Luu
AFCA Member
 

Joined: Sat Oct 2nd, 2010
Location:  
Status: 
Offline
Iron is doable. Lost wax would give you good detail and minimize shrinkage.

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Thu Sep 10th, 2020 04:53 am
  PMQuoteReply
17th Post
Ron Wallace
Guest


Joined: Thu Dec 5th, 2013
Location: Kansas City, Missouri USA
Status: 
Offline
Louis Luu wrote: Iron is doable. Lost wax would give you good detail and minimize shrinkage.I would pay just to watch you work.

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Thu Sep 10th, 2020 04:58 am
  PMQuoteReply
18th Post
Louis Luu
AFCA Member
 

Joined: Sat Oct 2nd, 2010
Location:  
Status: 
Offline
No...I just do the wax...the rest is beyond me.  Easy to do....just dunk the part you want into plaster first and let dry...making sure you leave two halves to remove the original.  Than pour in wax...remove mold.  Take down to foundry.  The rest is too dangerous.  Currently fixing a broken Kidney gear box and getting ready to mold.


Last edited on Thu Sep 10th, 2020 05:06 am by Louis Luu

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Thu Sep 10th, 2020 05:04 am
  PMQuoteReply
19th Post
Ron Wallace
Guest


Joined: Thu Dec 5th, 2013
Location: Kansas City, Missouri USA
Status: 
Offline
Louis Luu wrote: No...I just do the wax...the rest is beyond me.You don’t pour the metal?

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Thu Sep 10th, 2020 05:07 am
  PMQuoteReply
20th Post
Louis Luu
AFCA Member
 

Joined: Sat Oct 2nd, 2010
Location:  
Status: 
Offline
Pour metal...I love my house!  I love my fingers...eyes...and everything else attach to them.  Too dangerous for a hobbyist.  Most I will do is bake and melt out wax from dried plaster in an outside oven I have set up.

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Thu Sep 10th, 2020 09:37 pm
  PMQuoteReply
21st Post
Alison Fea
Super Moderator


Joined: Thu May 28th, 2009
Location:  
Status: 
Offline
Congrats on your amazing finds Ron!

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Thu Sep 10th, 2020 11:37 pm
  PMQuoteReply
22nd Post
Ron Wallace
Guest


Joined: Thu Dec 5th, 2013
Location: Kansas City, Missouri USA
Status: 
Offline
Thanks to everyone for your congratulatory notes.   

Last edited on Fri Sep 11th, 2020 02:37 am by Ron Wallace

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

 Posted: Sun Sep 13th, 2020 04:52 pm
  PMQuoteReply
23rd Post
Zachary Parr
AFCA Member


Joined: Thu Dec 22nd, 2016
Location: Overland Park, Kansas USA
Status: 
Offline
Lucky! Now I know where all the rare fans go in Kansas city. 

Last edited on Sun Sep 13th, 2020 04:52 pm by Zachary Parr

Back To Top PMQuoteReply  

 Posted: Sun Sep 13th, 2020 10:23 pm
  PMQuoteReply
24th Post
Ron Wallace
Guest


Joined: Thu Dec 5th, 2013
Location: Kansas City, Missouri USA
Status: 
Offline
Zachary Parr wrote: Lucky! Now I know where all the rare fans go in Kansas city. I wish!!!!!

Back To Top PMQuoteReply

Current time is 10:27 am  
AFCA Forums > Antique Fan Collectors Association > Pre-1950 (Antique) > My lucky week. Top



Beige Theme By: Di @ UltraBB
UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.2164 seconds (22% database + 78% PHP). 44 queries executed.