AFCA Forums Home
AFCA Forums > Antique Fan Collectors Association > Pre-1950 (Antique) > Western Electric C17 Year Identification and Information

 Moderated by: Steve Cunningham, Stan Adams, Rod Rogers  
AuthorPost
Michael Turner
Guest


Joined: Sat Sep 11th, 2021
Location:  
Status: 
Offline
Looking for some info from the Pros on here. I recently acquired a couple of fans I’m trying to get some information on. I will post them in separate posts so as to minimize confusion when discussing two separate fans.
For this fan, it is a Western Electric ceiling fan with a C17 on the tag.
Information requested:
1. Is it possible to tell what year this is?

2. What controls are used with this fan? I see in the nose under the fan where there is numerous wires where I’m assuming a control switch must have been at one time. Pics would be of great use if anyone has this.
   
3. Any particulars to be aware of while doing a restoration of this particular fan?
    









Last edited on Mon Sep 13th, 2021 12:25 am by Michael Turner

Russ Huber
AFCA Member


Joined: Mon Nov 14th, 2005
Location: Southwest, Wisconsin USA
Status: 
Offline
Very common well made GE CF made by the bucket loads marketed through Western Electric.

Tom Dreesen
AFCA Member


Joined: Fri Nov 25th, 2005
Location: Roanoke, Virginia USA
Status: 
Offline
You have a rebadged Hunter fan with non original GE irons and I can't tell what the wooden blades are.

Stan Adams
Super Moderator


Joined: Mon Nov 14th, 2005
Location: Houston, Texas USA
Status: 
Offline
Actually its a C17 Hunter which someone has put GE blade brackets on. The wooden blades are 80's replacement blades.

Tom Dreesen
AFCA Member


Joined: Fri Nov 25th, 2005
Location: Roanoke, Virginia USA
Status: 
Offline
Stan Adams wrote: Actually its a C17 Hunter which someone has put GE blade brackets on. The wooden blades are 80's replacement blades.
It is even more a hodgepodge than that.  The nose is even earlier and Emerson.

Try to put desk fans together like this ...









Last edited on Mon Sep 13th, 2021 01:57 am by Tom Dreesen

Russ Huber
AFCA Member


Joined: Mon Nov 14th, 2005
Location: Southwest, Wisconsin USA
Status: 
Offline
Russ Huber wrote: Very common well made GE CF made by the bucket loads marketed through Western Electric.
My bad, In saw the blade brackets and started typing.  :D  I actually found a nice C17 and passed it on in distant past.

Michael Turner
Guest


Joined: Sat Sep 11th, 2021
Location:  
Status: 
Offline
I would like to thank all who so far have provided information concerning this fan. One burning question I still have is, what kind of switch would be correct for this particular fan? I've seen pics showing all kinds of switches both modern and old. I've seen both rotary and pull chain types but nothing stating what would be period correct. Perhaps there's nothing really "correct", I don't know.

Tom Dreesen
AFCA Member


Joined: Fri Nov 25th, 2005
Location: Roanoke, Virginia USA
Status: 
Offline
Michael Turner wrote: I would like to thank all who so far have provided information concerning this fan. One burning question I still have is, what kind of switch would be correct for this particular fan? I've seen pics showing all kinds of switches both modern and old. I've seen both rotary and pull chain types but nothing stating what would be period correct. Perhaps there's nothing really "correct", I don't know.
A snap switch is what it would have had.


They are not cheap even if you could find one.

I do see a speed coil in your fan.  I don't remember off the top of my head if these are 2 or 3 speed.


You can always wire it on high and use a fan rated wall control until you find a snap switch.







Last edited on Tue Sep 14th, 2021 11:33 pm by Tom Dreesen


Beige Theme By: Di @ UltraBB
UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.0681 seconds (19% database + 81% PHP). 32 queries executed.