|I thought I'd started a thread on this fan a couple years back when I first picked it up but can't find it. I'm hopeful the process, below, will help others with a similar stamped steel Westinghouse. The back of the blade says 11* and the micro date on the badge says "5-18-11." It also turned out to have the bronze bearing carriers which, I think were just the first year so I'm going to go out on a limb and say 1911. When it came, it had a horrid green spray bomb paint over a rusting body. And it hummed just enough for me not to try and run it again until I'd gotten it broken down, cleaned up, and back together. I did get readings off the stator, albeit not great. This is what it looked like when I bought it:
And the tear down begins ...
And then ... I stared at the stator in the housing for the better part of a year ....
I read up on all sorts of techniques, tried several. Froze then hit the outside with heat. Tried to set up a puller system but couldn't get the center removed to put a post through. Tried knocking it out with a drift punch through the rear housing holes - all the time worried I was going to nick the windings. I then decided I had nothing to lose and drilled two of the four holes where the motor's through bolts went through the housing, just slightly larger, enough to use a punch to catch the edges of the holes going through the stator frame to tap it out. Twenty minutes start to finish, alternating tap tap tap on each side. Out came the stator!
The holes I drilled out (at 10 and 4 o'clock in the picture below) are only slightly larger than they were to start (as shown in the holes at 2 and 8 o'clock) and will be covered by the acorn nut on reassembly.
Then stripping that nasty green paint off and exposing the bronze bearing carriers fore and aft.
Taping and prepping, wiping down three times with a clean cloth and acetone (ignore the stray GE Oscillator Box lid which goes to another project)
Then Rattle Can Spray - using a Rustoleum Advanced Satin Black. Not quite as flat as original but less shiny than the gloss which is what I wanted to avoid. Maybe flat would have been closer to the original gun metal finish. On a side note, I picked up five of these cheap little "lazy susans" to rest the parts on when painting. Easy to turn with one gloved hand as you spray with the other so you can get a fairly even application on all sides. I've done four fans now and they sure beat my old technique, me moving around the table. That rarely ended so well.
Then on to the switch plate and the stator. Tore the switch plate down, cleaned it and the stator well, sanded the rust off the outside of the stator and sanded the inside of the motor housing toward getting it to more easily slide back in to the motor housing. Installed a new head wire using some of Tony Clayton's fabulous wire, then some clear insulating varnish on the windings for good measure.
Checking the readings again.
Put a little lubricant between the stator and the motor housing then used some threaded rod, oversized washers, and nuts to pull the stator back in - alternating between the four bolts to try and seat it nice and even.
Then reassembly. Motor casing tightened, numbers checked again, pivot knuckle, base, switch plate wired, new bottom felt, etc etc.
Some brass work - cleaned up the motor tag, cage, cage badge, blade, and rear cap. Used simichrome polish for the first time. Worked wonders. Then clear coated. I've still got a long way to go on technique but not shabby.
Installed Tony Clayton wire from switch to plug, a classic screw plug assembly, the cage, etc. Took it for a spin and believe it may be good to go for another 110 years. Here are some "glam" shots.
And the required before & after pics.
I know that this might not be everyone's taste, perhaps I should have gone with a flatter paint, perhaps not left the bearing carriers exposed, etc. But I'm happy with how it turned out and I hope the pictures will help others decide what they want to do with their own projects. The biggest obstacle for me was, not surprisingly, getting the stator out and then getting it back in. That's what keeps some folks from collecting the stamped steel Westinghouse fans. I swear not only are they press fitted beyond belief, they must actually glue the stators in place. I found the method of drilling out the motor housing just a wee bit to be quite simple in getting the stator removed without bending the housing. Then, after sanding the outside of the stator and the inside of the motor, using a little lubricant and the threaded rod/washer/nut assemblies to pull it back in evenly. It's a fairly sure fire way of getting the stator seated properly. The fan now runs great, with three distinct speeds, a nice spin down, and best of all I love love love the sound of the centrifugal switch at start up and shut down.
Last edited on Sat Aug 14th, 2021 05:32 am by Dave McManaman